Friday Night Cake Club For 5/8/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 10 May 2015 , 4:56pm by catlharper

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 9 May 2015 , 2:51am
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of the FNCC. Everyone is welcome to share photos of their work, their week, ask for help or provide help if they can!

Cat

21 replies
catlharper Posted 9 May 2015 , 2:52am
post #2 of 22

Hi everyone,

As usual we just got back from baseball. Great night at the park for our 14 year old son. I made his grenade cake today...it's not all I wanted but I'll take photos tomorrow so you guys can see!

Cat

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 9 May 2015 , 5:27am
post #3 of 22

Can't wait to see the cake. I am not baking this week. Just waiting to see what everyone else is up to.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 9 May 2015 , 7:55am
post #4 of 22

Two cakes this week.  One for a Pastor's 40th birthday.  It was cut up at a retreat and what did all the kids want?  Sardines have never been so popular - who knew? zv8LYYMN9d-40th-birthday-cake_900.jpg

This was a cake for a ladies book club.

kDZxyV3s3A-pink-cake_900.jpg   eVeZTZiMOT-pink-cake_900.jpg   

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 9 May 2015 , 2:50pm
post #5 of 22

Wow love the cakes @pastrybaglady! 

It's been a CRAZY weekend for me! I have finally finished my 19th birthday cake, and I must say I am EXTREMELY proud with the way it turned out. Here it is:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339591/disney-themed-birthday-cake

I also made an Ariel birthday cake for a client:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339595/ariel-themed-birthday-cake

and a vintage themed birthday cake as well:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339428/vintage-birthday-cake

catlharper Posted 9 May 2015 , 3:02pm
post #6 of 22

AH-Mazing cake this week!! @Pastrybaglady The sardines kill me! They are simply amazing!

@SweetShop5 Oh Em GEEEE The Disney cake is to die for! Seriously!!! We are a super Disney family (my mother's day gift, which I got last night was a ticket to go with my younger daughter, her hubby and our 4 year old grandson to the 24 hour Disneyland event at the end of the month!!!) so this cake is incredible! They are here for the weekend and I showed them all and we all adore it! SO fitting for us today!! (the other two cakes are quite lovely too but the Tinkerbell topped one was our favorite!)

We are leaving soon for the park to set up the party so I will take photos today of the cake/cupcakes and share them tonight!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 9 May 2015 , 3:05pm
post #7 of 22

Quote by @catlharper on 24 seconds ago

AH-Mazing cake this week!! @Pastrybaglady The sardines kill me! They are simply amazing!

@SweetShop5 Oh Em GEEEE The Disney cake is to die for! Seriously!!! We are a super Disney family (my mother's day gift, which I got last night was a ticket to go with my younger daughter, her hubby and our 4 year old grandson to the 24 hour Disneyland event at the end of the month!!!) so this cake is incredible! They are here for the weekend and I showed them all and we all adore it! SO fitting for us today!! (the other two cakes are quite lovely too but the Tinkerbell topped one was our favorite!)

We are leaving soon for the park to set up the party so I will take photos today of the cake/cupcakes and share them tonight!

Cat

Thank you Cat! I might be 19 but Disney movies are still my all time favourite! I dream about going to Disney (sadly it hasn't happened yet, but it will one day!!) Have fun at Disneyland, I'm definitely jealous!!

Can't wait to see your work as well!

Pastrybaglady Posted 9 May 2015 , 5:51pm
post #8 of 22

Sabrina, I can't imagine how much time your birthday cake took!  You so nailed every single character, extraordinary work!  The Ariel and vintage cakes are beautiful and clean as well.  Smh, only 19...

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 9 May 2015 , 6:22pm
post #9 of 22

Sabrina, how did you cut and inlay the Ariel? I love it! Sophisticated and simple, but get's the character across right away. 

I made a cake for a friend's wedding last weekend! It was the biggest cake I've ever made. So fun! 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3338835/dc-wedding-cake

SweetShop5 Posted 9 May 2015 , 6:39pm
post #10 of 22

Thanks @Pastrybaglady! All my characters were done at the beginning of last week to ensure they would be rock hard. But each character took me a minimum of 1 hour to do, I'm a perfectionist haha! I appreciate your kind comments :)

@CatherineGeorge I printed a template of Ariel, and I cut it up in pieces, then while the fondant was still very soft, I put the fondant pieces together like a puzzle if that makes sense. Its a bit of a pain because you have to do it quickly.  Thank you very much for the compliment! Your wedding cake is absolutely gorgeous, its so clean, wow!

catlharper Posted 10 May 2015 , 2:44am
post #11 of 22

Quote by @CatherineGeorge on 8 hours ago

Sabrina, how did you cut and inlay the Ariel? I love it! Sophisticated and simple, but get's the character across right away. 

I made a cake for a friend's wedding last weekend! It was the biggest cake I've ever made. So fun! 

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3338835/dc-wedding-cake

That is simply one of the most stunning cakes I have seen recently! I mean, lots of cherry tree cakes are out there but the way you incorporated the monuments in this cake just takes my breath away!

CatherineGeorge Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CatherineGeorge Posted 10 May 2015 , 2:46am
post #12 of 22

Thank you so much! It's been a beautiful spring in DC (finally!). Lots of inspiration. 

catlharper Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:03am
post #13 of 22

Ok, here are the photos. This cake was a lesson in carved cakes. it was carved nice and round but because the cake was light and fluffy, when it settled it ended up in this shape instead. I, normally, use a more dense, poundcake sort of cake but my son likes the light cupcake sort of cake so I did that instead...and found out that the cake compresses anyways due to the weight of the fondant and gravity. SIGH. Didn't really matter, he and his friends thought it was the coolest cake ever.  The dog tags say "Jack Fourteen" and "Ashley Fifteen". His cousin was celebrating her birthday too so this was for them both.

Anyways, here is the cake and cupcakes.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339683/jacks-cod-cake

SweetShop5 Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:05pm
post #14 of 22

@catlharper wow that grenade cake is amazing! I find carving cakes extremely hard so I don't do them often, but yours looks really good!

tastefullysweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tastefullysweet Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:54pm
post #15 of 22

This week was all about cupcake bouquets for me - no wonder with Mother's Day! I finally figured out a way to pack them for transport, so that was good :) I ran out of mini oreos for mini sunflowers and had to improvise the centers with chocolate chips, but the customer didn't mind luckily!

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339735/yellow-rose-cupcake-bouquet

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339727/hydrangea-cupcake-bouquet

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339722/sunflower-cupcake-bouquet

tastefullysweet Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:56pm
post #16 of 22

I love your pink cake, so simple and pretty! Is there a trick to applying nonpareils so neat on the side? Or did you just place them one by one?

tastefullysweet Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:57pm
post #17 of 22

I love your pink cake, so simple and pretty! Is there a trick to applying nonpareils so neat on the side? Or did you just place them one by one?

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 1 day ago

This was a cake for a ladies book club.

kDZxyV3s3A-pink-cake_900.jpg  

Pastrybaglady Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:01pm
post #18 of 22

I did the scallop pattern with tweezers and just kinda threw the rest on and rolled them into place.  While I was doing it I thought to myself, "There must be a more professional way to do this!"

tastefullysweet Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:02pm
post #19 of 22

Quote by @Pastrybaglady on 18 seconds ago

I did the scallop pattern with tweezers and just kinda threw the rest on and rolled them into place.  While I was doing it I thought to myself, "There must be a more professional way to do this!"

Nothing more professional than tweezers! It looks awesome! ;)

catlharper Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:51pm
post #20 of 22

We are still talking about your cake! Ah-mazing. But as we were talking about it, and the fact you are only 19, I realized I never said HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!! I do hope it was wonderful!

Cat

catlharper Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:54pm
post #21 of 22

@tastefullysweet I love your bouquets! I think the hydrangea is my favorite but the sunflowers with cookie centers are a very close second! LOL!

@Pastrybaglady There is no other way to do that on the sides of a cake...I love the idea of making the scallop first tho'...turns out so beautiful!

To all the Mama's out there...it's Mother's Day today in the USA...I hope your days are wonderful!!

Cat

catlharper Posted 10 May 2015 , 4:56pm
post #22 of 22

Quote by @SweetShop5 on 1 hour ago

@catlharper wow that grenade cake is amazing! I find carving cakes extremely hard so I don't do them often, but yours looks really good!

Thank you! As I said, it settled into that position but my cousin (who is a Marine) said he's just gonna say it's a new type of Hybrid! LOL! The boys loved it so it's all good. Carved cakes usually go much easier for me but you have to use a denser cake recipe and carve them filled and frozen. Then they are not so bad! LOL!

Cat

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%