Could Merinque Powder Be Substitues For Tylose Powder In Fondant?

Decorating By ZlatkaT Updated 12 May 2015 , 1:08am by GoWildCakes

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 8 May 2015 , 11:14pm
post #1 of 6

I will make my first "Book cake", and need to stiffen a little my fondant, so the "book cover" would not sink down. I read that I should add Tylose powder to my fondant, but my local Michaels is out of it, and they are out of Gumpaste as well -(. Would Merinque powder work? Pls advise. Thank you

5 replies
Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 8 May 2015 , 11:59pm
post #2 of 6

Use cornstarch!

sweettooth101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweettooth101 Posted 9 May 2015 , 1:43am
post #3 of 6

Tylose added to fondant makes it into sugarpast or gumpaste which dries hard. Adding cornstarch might make the paste itself dry and might cause cracks.

Meringue powder is dried egg white usually  used instead of fresh egg white when making royal icing or gumpaste from scratch.

Gum tragacanth or tylose or cmc powder or wilton brand is gum tex  are all the same thing.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 9 May 2015 , 1:46am
post #4 of 6

I really doubt mp will give you anything near the same results but  yes, cornstarch should.  Just use a little.... well how much depends on how much fondant. 

What I did many times was dip a lump of fondant into *dry* Wilton gp mix and knead until I could feel it tighten - sometimes having to dip several times until I got the right consistency.  Do the same w/your fondant/cornstarch -- coat the lump of fondant; knead it in and see how much tighter it feels before repeating.

ZlatkaT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ZlatkaT Posted 12 May 2015 , 12:54am
post #5 of 6

Thank you, I will use a little of cornstarch then.

GoWildCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GoWildCakes Posted 12 May 2015 , 1:08am
post #6 of 6

What a great question!  Glad you asked.  Informative answers all around.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%