Cupcake Liner Issue

Baking By SBSMeme Updated 10 May 2015 , 3:58pm by Apti

SBSMeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBSMeme Posted 6 May 2015 , 10:33pm
post #1 of 6

I recently made four different flavor cupcakes for an event.  Unfortunately I over heard the guests complain that the liners were sticking to the cupcake.  They were actually removing the liners in pieces.  Could someone let me know what would have caused this problem.  Thank you 

5 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 7 May 2015 , 5:19pm
post #2 of 6

Funny, I have had issues with papers coming off the cupcakes but not sticking to them.  My liners come off because the recipes I use are moist or the fat content in the recipe makes the liner peel off.  So thinking backwards, maybe the oil/grease content in your cupcakes isn't very high or possibly baking the cupcakes too long would dry them out and make the papers stick?  Sorry, I don't have a definite answer just thoughts from personal experience with the opposite problem.

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 7 May 2015 , 5:47pm
post #3 of 6

I'm with TheresaCarol on this too - every time I use "plain" cupcake liners, they peel off and look terrible!  I switched to only using heavy-duty greaseproof liners and for the most part that solved the problem.  (There's always that one cupcake...)

SBSMeme, maybe the same heavy-duty greaseproof liners would help?  I have found that no matter the fat content in my recipes (oil vs. butter and so on), the greaseproof liners seem to behave.  I mostly get mine at BakersStock.com, and sometimes from GlobalSugarArt.com as well as CountryKitchenSweetArt.com when I'm looking for something that Bakers' Stock doesn't carry.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 7 May 2015 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 6

SBSMeme, be careful too of cheap liners.  If the paper is too thin, that can make them stick.  I absolutely despise Wilton liners because I have always had issues.  My favorite liners are from a company called Siege.  They are a nice thick paper and grease-proof.  I have had great success with them.  

http://www.countrykitchensa.com/shop/cupcake-papers-wraps/standard-cupcake-linerspapers-baking/51/629/1602/?sort=0&y=Baking/Candy%20Cup%20Material&x0=331

SBSMeme Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SBSMeme Posted 8 May 2015 , 11:54pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you much for your suggestions.  Yes, unfortunately my cupcake liner suppy is mostly Wilton!!!  I do have some other brands and will try using those is see if there is a difference.  Over baking may be an issue too....those mini cupcakes are so hard to judge on timing.  Thank you again.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 10 May 2015 , 3:58pm
post #6 of 6

Mini cupcakes are a bitc*.  I have a definite love/hate relationship with those little buggers.

If you live on the west coast, go to Smart & Final and purchase a pack of 500 CupBakes Glassine Baking cups. They are white, inexpensive, (cost about $5-$6) and work perfect for me, every single time.

Unless a cupcake liner says on the label: grease resistant, it isn't! Grease resistant liners cost more, so they advertise to get the higher price. All of the Wilton liners are plain paper and will "muddy" in color when baked. I don't use anything BUT the Glassine Baking cups.

If you want "pretty liners", you can always stick your white liner baked cupcake inside a dry, pretty one. Personally, I prefer just to decorate the top and call it "good enough".
Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/728670/cupcake-liners#x6QU0hGfKGRmj5PB.99

(AAAAACK!  I loath this new CakeCentral format!  Can't add photos, can't cut and paste, can't edit, can't find threads..... SHEESH!!!!!  OK,  mini-rant over (for now).  Just lost an entire answer...)

Read this other thread on CakeCentral and you'll see that I use Smart & Final, glassine liners, only available at stores on the West Coast, USA.

http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/728670/cupcake-liners

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%