Any Recommendations For A German Chocolate Cupcake Recipe?

Baking By Webake2gether Updated 10 May 2015 , 12:24pm by Webake2gether

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 6 May 2015 , 12:20pm
post #1 of 12

I am wanting to make some German chocolate cupcakes for my neighbors birthday it's her favorite and I haven't found a recipe that I like based on reviews.  So if anyone has a recipe they like would you mind sharing it?? I've never made German chocolate cake actually  I've never eaten any either. I don't like the texture of coconut. All the reviews I've read made a host of different changes so I'm looking for a good solid recipe :)

thanks!!!

11 replies
Rfisher Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rfisher Posted 6 May 2015 , 7:03pm
post #2 of 12

On the back of the Bakers German's chocolate box. If your neighbor doesn't want an overly chocolate cake, which this is. You'll need to make sure your egg whites are not overly stiff, nor oven too hot, nor baked too long or the cc will shrink like prunes.

like red velvet, opinions of "good" German chocolate cake differ greatly on how much chocolate taste should be there.....

then there's the frosting........

Webake2gether Posted 6 May 2015 , 10:33pm
post #3 of 12

@Rfisher- she said that she likes them bc they are decadent she doesn't know I'm making them so I can't really ask lol. She doesn't like red velvet I do know that her husband happens to love the ones I make. I got the recipe for the cupcakes off the box I just happened to look while I was at the store and then I found a recipe for German chocolate that I'll use. So I'm piecing two recipes together :) crossing my fingers she loves them lol. 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 6 May 2015 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 12

If your recipe doesn't work out I would try allrecipes.com. They have a few recipes for the cake that have good ratings.  I have had excellent results with several recipes from this site.  Just make sure you read  all the comments first.  They are often helpful.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 May 2015 , 12:18am
post #5 of 12

the only way to make a real german's choco cake is with german's chocolate -- so following the recipe on the box is a good way to go -- a man named 'german' created 'german's chocolate' it's not like 'germany's chocolate cake -- it's a mild sweet choco cake and it's got the ooey gooey filling -- you can get a little creative with the filling but the chocolate is not negotiable for a real gcc -- if other choco is used it's still a good maybe even be a better choco cake but it's not technically a german's choco cake -- fwiw

i love the ones from whole foods -- they have a regular chocolate filling and the ooey gooey traditional stuff piled up on top and it's not german's choco cake it's a nice choco cake --

so there's that for the idea pot -- just need to determine which kind she might be expecting -- or even another variation

Webake2gether Posted 8 May 2015 , 4:37pm
post #6 of 12

I followed the recipe on the German Chocolate box and also made the topping from the box recipe as well adding a few touches I read from Allrecipes.com I think they turned out great!! I don't generally care for coconut but I really enjoyed these :)

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339411/german-chocolate-cupcakes

-K8memphis Posted 8 May 2015 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 12

i'll take a dozen! oooh they look great

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 8 May 2015 , 6:08pm
post #8 of 12

They look wonderfully and deliciously decadent.  Bet she will love them.

Webake2gether Posted 8 May 2015 , 8:43pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks!!! I'm not going to lie I ate two lol. You have to double check your work right ;) I'll let you all know what she thinks. We're actually going to make a German chocolate cake with the topping between the layers and a chocolate buttercream on the sides and a piped border on top with the coconut pecan topping I'll post pics of that too!!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 May 2015 , 10:14pm
post #10 of 12

Enjoy some of that for me.........can't eat it .......... allergic to coconut :(

-K8memphis Posted 9 May 2015 , 1:19am
post #11 of 12

oh bummer, kakeladi! i'm allergic too i break out in cellulite  :)

Webake2gether Posted 10 May 2015 , 12:24pm
post #12 of 12

Here is the German Chocolate Cake we made iced with Chocolate Buttercream for my neighbor :)

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3339696/german-chocolate-cake-with-chocolate-buttercream

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%