Newbie Question On Frosting A Guitar Cake.

Decorating By Luvstobe Updated 28 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm by DianeLM

Luvstobe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Luvstobe Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 12:56am
post #1 of 9

My son will be 16 on feb. 2nd. He owns 4 guitars that he plays daily... I want to make a guitar cake for him, I know where I can get a guitar cake pan.

WHat would be the best way to decorate it? I mean do I cover it with the frosting, then pipe in the decorations? You like strings, frets, stuff like that?

DO you use the same iceing to ice it as to put on decorations. This cake will probably only be seen by me, hubby and my kids..maybe a friend of theres, so I am not expecting perfection from myself...but I wouldn't mind getting some practice in.
Thanks in advance
Linda

8 replies
cakesbyamym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyamym Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:00am
post #2 of 9

IMO, using the star tip (I use #1icon_cool.gif, is the easiest way to "ice" the guitar cake. I have one in my photos, if you'd like to see it. Once the stars have "crusted", I go back and do my string work, etc. Good luck!!!

Luvstobe Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:07am
post #3 of 9

Thanks for you reply....I don't however see a guitar cake in your photos icon_confused.gif
Maybe I missed it??

Also would you Ice the cake Using the #1 tip or Ice the cake then put the stars on the top of the icing?

Sorry, like I said, this is new to me. icon_redface.gif

cakesbyamym Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:10am
post #4 of 9

Oops!!! You can click on my website and go to the special occasions page. I knew it was somewhere! LOL. I don't ice the cake first. I outline specific areas...sorry, I don't know the technical terms for the guitar...and then, I start starring. Let me know if you need anything!!! If it hadn't been for the great tips, advice and help here at CC, I don't know what I'd have done. Happy to help!!!

Luvstobe Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:16am
post #5 of 9

icon_surprised.gif Your cakes are so beautiful!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Your guitar cake looks delicious!!! Did you do that whole thing (I mean the Chocolate ) with the star tip #1??
Can I ask what kind of frosting that is, is it a buttercream? You can pipe with or use a star tip with a buttercream right??

SO I would do the string and other parts before starring, or the other way around??

Sorry so many questions icon_redface.gif

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 1:59am
post #6 of 9

I did a cake with the guitar pan. Instead of stars all over, I iced the sides and the fingerboard smooth. For the 'strings', I thinned the buttercream with some corn syrup so it would flow smoothly and not break.

Edited to say I used star tip 16. Tip 1 is a small round tip that you won't need for this cake.
LL

cakesbyamym Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 2:36am
post #7 of 9

I don't know where that smiley face came from in my above posting. LOL. Should read that I use a tip number eighteen. NOT a #1. Geesh! LOL. Those would be very itty bitty stars. LOL.

jlynnn_amdg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlynnn_amdg Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 6:38am
post #8 of 9

For a cake all done in stars, I use the triple-star tip in a bag w/o a coupler. It sure does go by faster.

DianeLM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DianeLM Posted 28 Jan 2007 , 8:24pm
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyamym

I don't know where that smiley face came from in my above posting. LOL. Should read that I use a tip number eighteen. NOT a #1. Geesh! LOL. Those would be very itty bitty stars. LOL.

It has something to do with typing the number eight! I just noticed the same thing in one my photo comments where I recommend using tip smiley face????? Oy!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%