Painting On Gumpaste?

Decorating By drwendy Updated 27 Jan 2007 , 1:55pm by boonenati

drwendy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drwendy Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:47am
post #1 of 3

I'm going to be attempting to make gumpaste flowers for the first time tomorrow. Do you have to color the paste first before you make them, or can you paint them like fondant with icing color/extract or vodka? I never can judge how much of anything to color beforehand.....end up with too much or too little of the right colors. Thanks!

2 replies
doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 5:59am
post #2 of 3

It depends on if the flowers are going to be dark red, color first, then add more. Light colors you can either start white then add a little at a time, or start out with a light base then darken as needed for the color.

boonenati Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
boonenati Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 1:55pm
post #3 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by drwendy

I'm going to be attempting to make gumpaste flowers for the first time tomorrow. Do you have to color the paste first before you make them, or can you paint them like fondant with icing color/extract or vodka? I never can judge how much of anything to color beforehand.....end up with too much or too little of the right colors. Thanks!

Wendy
I find that with flowers it's nice to start with a pale coloured gumpaste and then add shade with chalks or dusts. I dont use liquids for coloring flowers except do make dots on my orchids.
cheers
Nati

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%