Can A Cake Covered In Mmf Or Fondant Be Refrigerated??

Decorating By adarabia Updated 26 Sep 2005 , 2:22am by crimsonhair

adarabia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adarabia Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 1:25am
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to do a wedding cake covered in MMF or fondant with a cream cheese or pudding filling but I am worried bc I don't know if it can be refrigerated. I have refrigerated cakes covered in fondant for our use at home and they have been ok, but other times in between the layers it gets kind of droopy when it comes back to room temperature. How can I prevent them from doing that??

Thanks in advanse for your help.

Adriana

4 replies
traci Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
traci Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 1:33am
post #2 of 5

Hi. I have always been told not to put fondant in the icebox. I know that SquirrellyCakes mentioned a brand of fondant that was ok to put in the icebox. You might want to PM her. She knows almost EVERYTHING about cakes! icon_smile.gif I am sure some others can give you some advice about your post as well. Good luck. icon_razz.gif
traci

TamiAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TamiAZ Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 1:47am
post #3 of 5

I refridgerate all my fondant cakes with no problems, but other people say they can't because of condensation. Is there any way you can do a small cake covered in fondant and refridgerate it and see what happen. I live in AZ and it's dry here so that may be why I can do it. I also use Satin Ice. I deliver my cakes fully assembled so I usually chill them overnight before delivering.

Good luck!!

adarabia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
adarabia Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 2:06am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for the quick response. I guess I should keep trying perhaps refrigerating them but using less filling to prevent it from making the fondant droopy where it comes in contact with the filling.

crimsonhair Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crimsonhair Posted 26 Sep 2005 , 2:22am
post #5 of 5

If you use a stiff buttercream dam around the inside of the layer before adding the filling the filling won't be able to squish out and touch the fondant.. I refrigerated one small cake that had fondant on it.. It seemed ok when I took it out and let it come to room temp.. I did this just to see how it would be because I have read on here that fondant doesnt do well in the fridge..Good luck.
Liz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%