Cake Refund Protocol

Baking By lily15 Updated 4 May 2015 , 1:41pm by Natka81

lily15 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily15 Posted 4 May 2015 , 12:46pm
post #1 of 11

Good morning my fellow bakers!  I need some advice in regards to a cake I delivered. 

I delivered and set up a three tier cake for kids party.  Before I left I made sure the cake was good, that it was on sturdy table, it was not tilted, or sinking in etc. I delivered the cake at 11 30 am and took photos of the cake before I left. I stood there for 20 minutes after set up to make sure everything was fine.the party was to start at 12pm. around 5:30 pm I text the client to see if their guess liked the cake and to make sure everything was fine. Thats when they reply stating that the cake fell down 5 minutes after I left! They stated no one came close to the cake and that it fell down by itself..i felt so horrible and confused at same time. The team was no problem with the cake structure was great! It had bunch of dowels and plastic pipes cause the cake was standing on some legs!  So I know it was not the way I made it..what should I do? Should I refund the whole amount? 

Please help

10 replies
Natka81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Natka81 Posted 4 May 2015 , 12:59pm
post #2 of 11

Can you post a picture of the cake? 

Do they have a picture of a fallen cake? 

Did they ask for refund? 

Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:15pm
post #3 of 11

I agree with Natka81 we need to see the pictures you took to judge how sturdy the cake looked. What kind of dowels did you use and how many?

lily15 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:17pm
post #4 of 11

I don't have a picture of the Fallen cake. They showed it to me but I didn't get the picture sent.  They didn't ask for a refund.  But I feel so horrible and I think I should. I have the picture once it was set up

Natka81 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:19pm
post #5 of 11

Can you post a picture? 

lily15 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:20pm
post #6 of 11

I am trying to attached the picture but is not  letting me..please tell how to attach it

Gingerlocks Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:23pm
post #7 of 11

No, it's better to see the "before" pictures..to see if there's any signs it might fall; she said it happened right after you left and all by itself..if that's true the pictures you took before you left might show signs that its about to fall. 

That is important because if it showed signs it was about to fall the refund will be larger than if it looks sturdy..I mean it was for a kids party; and kids do tend to go up and touch cakes (at least in my experience) or  bump tables.

Gingerlocks Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:24pm
post #8 of 11

You need to post it in your gallery first and then post it here..it's annoying I know.

lily15 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:33pm
post #9 of 11

This is the most annoying thing. . I can't uploaded!  I am clicking on the gallery and is not letting me add pics..

Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:37pm
post #10 of 11

I know people have used wooden dowels for a long time before SPS and similar systems were available but you should honestly consider switching if you don't want to have to worry about the stability of your cakes. Just the fact that you hung around for 20 minutes tells me that somewhere in the back of your mind, you were worried about it. It costs me <$10 for everything I need for a 3 tier cake (2 plates and 8 columns) and I just include it in the price of my cakes.

As far as the party, I'm with gingerlocks, kids run around and can totally hit a cake table. Hopefully you can post a before pic and we can see. Sorry that happened to you. 

Frank

Natka81 Posted 4 May 2015 , 1:41pm
post #11 of 11

I have seen more adults dropping and smashing cakes, when trying to move them or fix something around, then running kids. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%