New Business Advice

Business By amandamariec Updated 18 May 2015 , 3:31pm by carolynmaples

amandamariec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamariec Posted 3 May 2015 , 3:26am
post #1 of 6

Hi, I have been thinking about opening a cupcake kiosk in a mall.  I have no idea where to begin. Do you have any resources to share.  I want to do all my research before I jump into this.

Thank you!

5 replies
carolynmaples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolynmaples Posted 3 May 2015 , 5:04am
post #2 of 6

I'm curious about this too! I know you'd have to contact the mall for information on how they set up a kiosk, and maybe get your kitchen approved to run the business out of? (depending on where you live) does anybody else have more information?

amandamariec Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amandamariec Posted 5 May 2015 , 12:27am
post #3 of 6

I live in NH. Still looking for some resources. thanks! 

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 5 May 2015 , 8:49pm
post #4 of 6

A good place to start would be adding up all the overhead costs, including license fees, insurance, rent for the kiosk, rent for the commercial kitchen, advertising, etc. Then research the market value for the products you will be selling and figure out net profit after ingredients/labor.  Next, take sample measurements of foot traffic past the kiosk at the times you'll be open. This will give you an idea of what percentage of customers will need to buy a cupcake in order for you to break even or make a profit. A conversion of rate of 0.1% would probably be doable, but if you're in the 10-20% range or higher it's probably not going to work.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 May 2015 , 10:55pm
post #5 of 6

add in an employee or two because most malls require you to be open during their hours of operation so there's that too -- one person can't work 7 days a week 10-12 hours a day -- it's hardly a viable idea -- i would suggest that you look into a franchise -- cookies are successful in the malls -- i think cupcakes are being phased out by the public i mean

carolynmaples Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolynmaples Posted 18 May 2015 , 3:31pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @jason_kraft on 5 May 2015 , 8:49pm

... take sample measurements of foot traffic past the kiosk at the times you'll be open. This will give you an idea of what percentage of customers will need to buy a cupcake in order for you to break even or make a profit. A conversion of rate of 0.1% would probably be doable, but if you're in the 10-20% range or higher it's probably not going to work.

That's an awesome idea, I never thought of that! I'll definitely keep that in mind when looking for a place of business.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%