Where And What Type Airbrush?

Decorating By neribo Updated 29 Apr 2015 , 12:13pm by debrartin

neribo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neribo Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 10:55am
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone, I'm neribo! wana start airbrush. But don't know what type airbrush better and from where to buy.

Any suggestions acceptable..

2 replies
Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 11:59am
post #2 of 3

Neribo - I started with the Duffs brand that Michael's sells simply because I could get it at 50% off. It's a good starting airbrush but I've replaced it more than once. That being said,  a lot of people recommend the TC-20T series airbrush bundle (http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001ESP2BY/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=1A3PTKHEXJ5LE&coliid=I3GFAP2RK4CNJZ) as it comes with everything you would need to start off, including 24 of the most popular colors. 

Here's a thread that I used to figure some of it out: http://decoratedcupcakeideas.com/top-3-rated-cake-decorators-airbrush-kits/  . I'm sure there are others on CakeCentral that go into more of the particulars but I use mine for airbrushing color onto entire tiers, stencil work, and adding metallic/pearl when needed. I can't draw well freehand so I don't use mine for line work etc.

Hope that helps,


debrartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrartin Posted 29 Apr 2015 , 12:13pm
post #3 of 3

Depends on what you are doing. I bought a pretty pricey doubleaction airbrush kit with a full accessory kit with various needles, seats, paint cups and cleaning supplies for next to nothing by using that coupon.


Some people recommend going with an external mix, single action model to start out with, but you will find them too limiting very quickly. If you are mechanically minded, understand how a venturi works and intend to use the airbrush alot, go ahead and spring for a nice double action, internal mix unit. You'll be happy with its versatility.

Quote by @%username% on %date%