Micromanaging Boss! What To Do???

Business By amartin1900 Updated 15 May 2015 , 2:35pm by amartin1900

amartin1900 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amartin1900 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 7

The boss has never worked in a commercial kitchen and has had her cupcake shop for a year. In the only hired decorator. Lately she's been interfering and last week was her first wedding cake. She meet with the bride and when they came to make final payment I was there so I came out and briefly went over all the details as I normally would with a wedding. The next day I wasnt there, she calls in the bride again to look at decorations I had started. I wasn't finished so they weren't to be shown. So she says to baker, these aren't right, we need to Fix them, the brides coming. She and the baker them needed with my decorations and the boss spent 7 hours making others after I said not to worry about it (it was 30 min for me) all out of being a control freak. It looked terrible to me. It's time to meet with her but what do I say so she first feel bossed around?

One first asks themselves is it my work? 

No she told me the week before that she lived my work and I was extremely talented. She also gets into others tasks. The baker can't even take out baked cupcakes from the oven. 

6 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 4:26pm
post #2 of 7

If you know here well enough to be honest, be honest and tell her that she needs to stop micromanaging your work because you have it under control. If you can't be honest with her, get ready to live with this as long as you work there. Some people just can't keep their noses out of it and will always be on top of you making your job harder.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 30 Apr 2015 , 8:56pm
post #3 of 7

what she said.....

amartin1900 Posted 14 May 2015 , 1:30am
post #4 of 7

Thank you both for your response. My employer was just too much. She refused to let the appropriate employees take on more tasks as previously discussed and continued to get involved in my daily tasks.

I attempted to explain how she was harming my skill set and projects by interfering and how her bakery was not progressing to handle more orders by not encouraging/ allowing staff members to progress in skill. The staff members have previous experience and time to do so. For example, letting the night staff roll cake balls. She childishly defended herself with nothing logical to contribute to the conversation. I was really shocked at how childish she was, even rolling her eyes at me out of pride. Sad, but I will now take to heart how critical it is to have business management skills. I also learned how critical it is to work for experienced employers. She has had these conversations with other employees and with improvements that last no more than 4 hours. So I peacefully told her it wasn't going to work out. She frequently praised my talent and work (even in that convo) but couldn't allow herself to fully benefit from it. Sad. Glad its over : )

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 May 2015 , 1:35am
post #5 of 7

Good for you, people like that are terrible to work for.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 May 2015 , 5:17am
post #6 of 7

amartin1900~~I like you.  Well said. 

amartin1900 Posted 15 May 2015 , 2:35pm
post #7 of 7

I appreciate the support

Thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%