Suggested Fillings For Outdoor Wedding Cakes

Baking By SweetShop5 Updated 27 Apr 2015 , 5:13am by julia1812

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 11:27am
post #1 of 6

So I have bride who is getting married in August, the reception will be outside and she told us the cake will be outside for a couple of hours. She has asked us if we can make strawberry buttercream filling for the cake. I was wondering if this is a good idea? I don't think fruit fillings would be a good idea to have if the cake is going to be outside but I wanted input from others. Also what fillings do you guys suggest for people who have outdoor weddings?

Thanks a bunch! 

5 replies
Frank68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frank68 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:24pm
post #2 of 6

Hi Sweetshop5, for outdoor cakes I generally do SMB fillings. They hold up fairly well and they're versatile enough to handle many flavor combinations. I think american buttercream fillings would also hold up well due to the shortening used (not my favorite go to recipe), and ganache would be another recommendation. I would stay away from cream cheese, cannoli, basically anything that turns to mush in higher temps. 

For strawberry SMB, I mince/dice a handful of strawberries, add a very light touch of red food coloring and a combination of vanilla/strawberry extract to enhance the flavor. Add the strawberries at the very end when your SMB has already come together. 

Hope that helps

Frank

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 12:45pm
post #3 of 6

just for the record -- american buttercream is not always made with shortening -- i usually make mine with butter and buttermilk -- it is awesome --

but for a strawberry filling to be held outdoors in august i'd suggest sleeve filling if you had to have strawberry but fruit filling outdoors for a few hours could attract some unintended visitors not to mention the melt/weep/slip/slide factor--

i would recommend a strawberry flavor filling to my bride flavored with an oil and i wouldn't budge on it -- i might swirl the strawberry sleeve filling in the cake batter before baking though -- so it's just like ribbons in there --

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 7:08pm
post #4 of 6

Sleeve filling.

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 9:42pm
post #5 of 6

Thank you @-K8memphis, @Apti & Frank68 all your replies have helped me. Much appreciated!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 27 Apr 2015 , 5:13am
post #6 of 6

Strawberry smbc will hold up outside for hours and even a reduced strawberry filling. Just did one last month. It's 90'F plus here ALL year round. Never had an issue with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%