Sunny Side Up Food Coloring

Decorating By sweetobsesions Updated 29 Jul 2015 , 7:43pm by cakeflake80

sweetobsesions Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 12:45am
post #1 of 9

Has anyone used the Sunny Side Up food coloring to color fondant? Does it work? I usually use the Wilton gel but I need a lot of red fondant so I thought the squeeze bottle would be easier. TIA! 

8 replies
Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 1:42am
post #2 of 9

I've not used the sunny side up brand but I can recommend americolor. That's was I use and I've seen it at hobby lobby before I order mine online. I think it colors fondant really well and doesn't seem to take a lot :)

sweetobsesions Posted 25 Apr 2015 , 8:46am
post #3 of 9

Great thank you! I will look for it!

sweetobsesions Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 2:34am
post #4 of 9

Hobby Lobby doesn't carry americolor brand anymore. Just the sunny side up.     :( I did just find a new wilton kit called Wilton Color Right System. It comes with a small squeeze bottles & it's supposed to tell you how to make each color.

Webake2gether Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Webake2gether Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 2:40am
post #5 of 9

Oh bummer :(  my husband bought me a whole box of americolor on amazon for $13 or $14 and I love them. We have a cake supply store about 30 minutes from where we live that sells them too. I've used a few of the sunny side up brand products and haven't like them. The lady that works at hobby lobby told me the products are the cheap hobby lobby brand. I'm new to the baking world so I'm learning about the different brands myself :)

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 2:43am
post #6 of 9

I purchased a few of the Sunny Side colors, they seemed to perform the same, and had the same vibrancy as Americolor. I needed black, but every black they had was liquid and had separated in the bottle.

sweetobsesions Posted 26 Apr 2015 , 3:31am
post #7 of 9

I'll have to order it! I won't have time for this cake but definitely in the future! I just really hate having to scoop out the red coloring out of the tiny wilton container & I feel like I use so much!

chelledbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelledbelle Posted 28 Jul 2015 , 6:24am
post #8 of 9

I have used the America lord and Sunnyside: for most colors they seem to work about the same. EXCEPT for black. I could NOT achieve black with sunnyside. I actually use wilton for black now. Hth

cakeflake80 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeflake80 Posted 29 Jul 2015 , 7:43pm
post #9 of 9

I wouldn't recommend the sunny side up colors. I actually wrote a letter to hobby lobby requesting that they bring back americolor because the new stuff is awful. You can tell right away that the consistency is much more watery than americolor. The lighter colors might work in a pinch, but don't even attempt to get a nice red or black. I have actually started buying Wilton again if I don't have a color and need it right away, but I ordered some of the larger americolor bottles from Amazon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%