Best Way To Store Fondant?

Decorating By tessholly1 Updated 1 May 2015 , 7:40pm by kakeladi

tessholly1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tessholly1 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 5:45pm
post #1 of 6

Hi all,

I am interested in how everybody stores their fondant.. I use the 'Couture' brand and it gets delivered to me from my online supplier in blue plastic bags that are UNsealed. So firstly should I be transferring this straight away into another type of storage? Also when I have some left over from a cake that Iv coloured etc I wrap it tight in plastic cling film.. But I find when I come to reuse it the outside has l formed a sort of dry hard shell and no amount of kneading gets rid of the dried up bits so clearly the cling film isn't doing its job!! Please help by sharing your storage solutions and tricks :)

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 11:02pm
post #2 of 6

When I taught Wilton and fondant was used I taught the students to overkill with wrapping it.  It came in a foil package (I guess it still does?) but once that package is opened it no longer is sealed sooooo......wrap it tightly in plastic cling film, then back in the foil, another layer of cling film then into an air-tight plastic container.  That helps but still, then sooner you can use it up the better.  Also keep it frozen.  Defrost in frig overnight, then at room temp for several hours before using.

If it does develop a dry hard shell, cut that part off!  DO NOT try to knead it in.  You are right, no amount of kneading will get rid of that hard stuff :(

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 11:25pm
post #3 of 6

Food saver vacuum sealer is wonderful for fondant. They are expensive tho. I found one like brand new at a garage sale for $20, best find ever!!

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 6

I use Massa Grischuna which comes in a resealable tub wrapped in an unsealed blue plastic bag as well.  I do not open it just to rewrap it, but once I have opened the bin and broken the seal, I always rewrap it.  As kakeladi said above, there is no such thing as wrapping too much!  I rewrap the fondant in the blue bag it came in, or plastic wrap , then in an oversized zip lock bag,  with the air all smooshed out, the end of the bag folded down, and a rubber band around the outside.  Then back in the original container.  Bits and pieces of left overs, same thing - wrapped in saran then ziplock then throw it an extra resealable original tub I hang onto. Could use a smaller tupperware or any resealable container.  I store it in a cool place in the back of my pantry.  

Happyfood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Happyfood Posted 1 May 2015 , 4:03am
post #5 of 6

I will wrap my fondant in plastic wrap then another layer of plastic wrap that has been rubbed down with a thin layer of shortening.  The shortening seems to keep the fondant sealed better.  I store mine in an airtight tub inside the refrigerator.  And like it was mentioned earlier, you have to cut off any dried parts of the fondant because they can't be used.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 1 May 2015 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 6

Quote by @Happyfood on 15 hours ago

.........rubbed down with a thin layer of shortening.  The shortening seems to keep the fondant sealed better.........

Oh my ... how did we all forget this important info?!  Yes, yes, do rub the fondant w/a layer of shortening before wrapping it up no matter what method one decided to use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%