Please Help!

Decorating By aterry22 Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 9:35pm by aterry22

aterry22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aterry22 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:06pm
post #1 of 5

I am trying to do the cake in the picture for my sister-in-law's wedding. I have been doing cakes for a while but have mostly worked with fondant. This is my first all-buttercream cake. I am using Swiss Meringue Buttercream because it has a glossier finish, but it's not turning out like this. It is a lot yellower, not as shiny, and still doesn't seem to be the right texture. I feel dumb, but I'm not sure what kind of icing this is. 

I am also having a hard time creating the texture on the top and bottom tiers. I have tried icing combs but none of them look right. When I try with the combs, it leaves icing in its wake. It doesn't go smoothly all the way around like in the picture. 

Any advice on these two issues would be GREATLY appreciated! Thank you in advance!!

4 replies
aterry22 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:08pm
post #2 of 5

I don't know why it didn't include the picture. I'm trying this again. 

aterry22 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:13pm
post #3 of 5

Ok, I guess I'll try linking it? I've never posted on here before so I'm not sure what I'm doing. Ha :o) https://www.pinterest.com/pin/244320348511547942/

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 3:16pm
post #4 of 5

SMBC is always going to be a yellowish because of the butter, but to my eye it looks like the top and bottom tiers were pearlized with an airbrush and then textured, possibly with the tip of a pallet knife? Not sure about that part.

aterry22 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 9:35pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you very much for replying! I will look into the pearlized airbrushing.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%