How To Incorporate Sugar And Fondant. Want To Backlight The Sugar.

Sugar Work By Juds2323 Updated 22 Apr 2015 , 1:00pm by yortma

Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 3:39am
post #1 of 4

Hi:

I am doing a cake donation for little boy thru icing smiles next month and it will be a minecraft cake.  I thought it would be cool to make a diamond block and have the diamond chips in the block be sugar and put an LED behind it to make it glow.  I'm just not sure how to get the two mediums to work together.  I need to have the back of the sugar piece exposed so light shines thru.  Kind of like the block in the picture below.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Judi

3 replies
Juds2323 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Juds2323 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 3:41am
post #2 of 4

ugh it didn't show up.

Magic Mouthfuls Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Magic Mouthfuls Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 8:53am
post #3 of 4

What about blue isomalt for the transparent diamonds surrounded/interspersed with fondant/gumpaste/pastillage blocks or frame?

I've seen pictures where the isomalt and fondant are next to each other - I assume typical sugar glue / tylose glue will hold the pieces together - but I have not worked with isomalt yet, so really cant help much more than that - sorry.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 1:00pm
post #4 of 4

Sorry - picture didn't show so I don't know exactly what you had in mind.  is it a 3D piece or a 2D piece?    If 2D - maybe a cookie with  hard candy melted in the cut outs (the old "windowpane cookies")  You could color the cookie dough, or frost the proper color after baked.    I think if you make the basic piece out of fondant and let dry thoroughly, you sholud be able to pour isomalt into the cut outs.  If you make the transparent pieces separately (maybe one big piece behind)  I think you could easily glue it  to fondant or gumpaste with edible glue.  ( I water down some fondant   and mix well until the consistency of cream and it works great as glue.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%