Help Please!!!!!

Decorating By SPODN Updated 1 May 2015 , 1:57am by SPODN

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 11:40pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make and decorate a cake in advance of the event.  I've baked my cakes in advance in the past then frost and decorate them the day before but I will not have the luxury of time with this one.  I'm looking for suggestions for frosting and fillings that can be frozen.  I started using Fondarific fondant recently and really like how easy it is to work with.  The company claims it can be frozen with no ill effects.  So I'm going to try it with a sample cake to see if it will truly work.  But I'm not sure about frosting.  I'm going to be making a wedding cake and the bride does not like traditional butter cream. Too sweet.  I've used Rich's Better Cream and she thought that was better and she like my swiss meringue butter cream but I don't know how either of these would hold up to being frozen.  Also does anyone have any advise about fillings that would freeze well.

Any advise anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sandi 

9 replies
AAtKT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AAtKT Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:11am
post #2 of 10

Without words we cannot help you...

At least I do not think any of us are telepathic over the internet...  ;)

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:14am
post #3 of 10

When I open the thread, the message is there for like 1 second and it suddently disapear. Strande, realy strange....

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:18am
post #4 of 10

It's another one of those magical disappearing posts  >_<

albert-L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albert-L Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:24am
post #5 of 10

Original message:

I need to make and decorate a cake in advance of the event.  I've baked my cakes in advance in the past then frost and decorate them the day before but I will not have the luxury of time with this one.  I'm looking for suggestions for frosting and fillings that can be frozen.  I started using Fondarific fondant recently and really like how easy it is to work with.  The company claims it can be frozen with no ill effects.  So I'm going to try it with a sample cake to see if it will truly work.  But I'm not sure about frosting.  I'm going to be making a wedding cake and the bride does not like traditional butter cream. Too sweet.  I've used Rich's Better Cream and she thought that was better and she like my swiss meringue butter cream but I don't know how either of these would hold up to being frozen.  Also does anyone have any advise about fillings that would freeze well.

Any advise anyone can give would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Sandi 

Read more at http://www.cakecentral.com/forum/t/795025/help-please#Vi7XCXUUTQFxo9m4.99

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:26am
post #6 of 10

SMBC freezes great

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:46pm
post #7 of 10

gradually thawing things is best -- from freezer, to fridge overnight, to room temperature -- wrap extremely well in several layers -- any icing or filling that can have loose water molecules, say for example fruit filling that wasn't cooked down enough or whipped cream that wasn't whipped properly would not thaw well -- the  

water would form crystals and then thaw as water -- when i unwrap my frozen uniced tiers i immediately brush off the ice crystals so they can't melt into my cake --

but i don't as a rule freeze finished products just use the freezer as i go --

best to you --

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 12:48pm
post #8 of 10

albert-L how did you do that? how did you find sandi's post? good for you!

albert-L Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albert-L Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 3:35pm
post #9 of 10

The message appeared of half of a second when the page was loading. I refresh the page and stop the refreshing before the message disappeared. It took me several try. ^^

I'm glad it could help :)

SPODN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SPODN Posted 1 May 2015 , 1:57am
post #10 of 10

Thanks guys.  I like using SMBC so that will be my go to frosting.  I generally don't freeze finished cakes either but this is going to have to go that way.  I'd like to use a salted caramel mousse recipe I found as a filling.  I think I can try making the mousse and freezing it to see how it hold up.  If it holds up well to freezing do you think i'd be safe using it as a filling.  I will use SMBC am my frosting under my fondant.  My  bride wants a white cake with caramel filling.  I thought just a layer of caramel didn't seem like enough.  I'm going to do a test cake for her to taste but I want to make sure it will all hold up to the freezing before I offer it.  I am not a professional baker, I am doing this for a friend.  I decorate cakes as a hobby.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%