Using Modeling Chocolate For Wine Bottle

Sugar Work By cait1219 Updated 23 Apr 2015 , 11:23am by me_me1

cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 1:25pm
post #1 of 6

I've never worked with modeling chocolate before but I want to make a half wine bottle using it.  It will be laying down in a crate (which is actually the cake) so that's why I only need half.  My goal is to have the wine bottle actually be edible.  Will modeling chocolate harden up to make this possible?  If it's hard is it still edible?  Does modeling chocolate actually taste good?  My plans are to just cover a wine bottle with plastic wrap, cornstarch, then drape the chocolate over it, trim to size, then let set for a few days.  I would love some input on working with modeling chocolate and whether or not this would actually be edible.  Thanks!

5 replies
hamtrina Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hamtrina Posted 21 Apr 2015 , 1:29pm
post #2 of 6

Hi, have you thought of making the wine bottle out of RKT, or just cake itself,  covering it with ganache then modeling chocolate? That might be easier and less stressful.

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 5:48am
post #3 of 6

I'm not certain modelling chocolate would get hard enough for your purpose. I've made tools from MC - the hammer got really hard but the saw was still slightly droopy after 2 weeks' drying time. they did taste great though.

I do wine bottle halves from gumpaste, I just cover the wine bottle with icing sugar and model the gumpaste sheet over it and leave it for  a few days to dry. Then I lift it off and let the inside dry. I airbrush and finish it to look like glass. Don't think it would taste very good though but I've seen plenty of people eat gumpaste.

Maybe you could produce the MC bottle and then pack it with RKT or even a cake pop mix to keep it held up? Just an idea...

cait1219 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cait1219 Posted 22 Apr 2015 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 6

Winniemog I love the idea of letting the MC harden as much as it can first, then packing it with something for support if needed.  Great idea.  I'm happy to hear that MC tastes pretty good.  I'm curious what type of chocolate a lot of people use to make their MC?

winniemog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
winniemog Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 2:50am
post #5 of 6

I've used candy melts and proper chocolate. I don't like sweet things especially white choc but my family and clients reassure me they are delicious!

me_me1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
me_me1 Posted 23 Apr 2015 , 11:23am
post #6 of 6

I used modelling choc for a half size bottle of fizz on a cake (it's in my gallery somewhere - I can't figure out how to put a pic in here).  I made a silicone mould, made the two halves separately and attached edible image labels to it. The finished bottle was standing up on top of the cake (birthday girl liked Passion Pop when we were kids).

The whole thing is modelling choc though.  Stood up fine and tasted great too.  I made it about two weeks before the party.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%