Attaching Silk Flowers To Buttercream

Decorating By Vanessa7 Updated 20 Apr 2015 , 10:48am by costumeczar

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 2

I have a bride who wants silk flowers cascading down the cake from the topper to the bottom tier.  If I were dealing with fondant instead of buttercream I'd have no problems.  However, I've dealing with a buttercream base.  I'm wondering if there is an awesome technique that someone uses to hold flowers in place.  Would I need to put floral wire and maybe straws into the sides?  I'm a little concerned about the structural stability of that on the cake sides.  Would melted chocolate secure the flowers to buttercream?  I use Indydebis buttercream which is a shortening based buttercream so it is a very stable base.  The bride is also lactose intolerant so I cannot use anything that has milk products in them.  Any suggestions?

1 reply
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 20 Apr 2015 , 10:48am
post #2 of 2

I'd use drinking straws over the stems of the flowers, and white chocolate in the straws and painted on the backs of the flowers to provide a barrier between them and the cake. You can insert the biggest flowers first, them add the smaller ones without inserting them into the cake at all if you can prop them in around the bigger ones.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%