Cake Decorator Jobs/ Job Searching

Business By k3lli3n Updated 24 Apr 2015 , 10:24pm by RoyalTreatz

k3lli3n Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
k3lli3n Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:56pm
post #1 of 6

I recently left my job as a cake decorator at a grocery store. I had been working for the company for nearly four years, and I am ready to go back to a small business. I don't hate the process of looking for a job, but it has become pretty tiring. 

From my experience (applying to small businesses):

• Always bring your resume, references, portfolio, and dress in chef attire or interview appropriate attire
  • ServSafe Certification is a plus 
  • Bring the tools you are comfortable using (cake combs, spatulas, etc.)
  • Display as many skills as you can during your interview (show that you can be a well-rounded team member)
  • Stick to your requested compensation, don't settle- get what you deserve

Anyone have any advice for someone looking for a cake decorator job?

Kellien

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 6:15pm
post #2 of 6

i never brought tools to an interview that i can remember -- i used their methods and equipment -- or did the best i could with it -- they usually assign you a cake to do -- 

one place had me do a sculpture (for a paying client) without notice or even a picture -- not surprisingly the worst place i ever worked -- one place had me dig though dozens of messy sticky leftover piping bags to get enough icing to work with -- one place had me ice a chocolate cake with the stiffest white icing on the planet -- 'no, they don't thin the icing' (ha! my big toe!) 

most places i've interviewed wanted a team member so displaying a lot of skills can fray nerves -- unless it's a head decorator spot -- so think carefully about that one -- you definitely want to display your speed however

i think the most important thing is to find out what they want and be that -- there can be a lot of oxygen sucking ego in cake deco and so tread carefully and do most of your breathing before you get there ;)

there are cool places to work though and i hope you find a great one -- best to you!

k3lli3n Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 6:28pm
post #3 of 6

I recently had an interview in which I was asked to ice two tiers of a wedding cake. She told me to feel free to bring whatever tools I wanted, but I didn't! They offered a spackling tool that had a handle and I was not in my normal groove because I usually use a cake comb.  In this case I wish I had brought my own tools.-Nothing you can really do about a wobbly turntable.

Yeah I've had the weird icing issue too!

I've gotten pretty good feedback from being able to bake, and decorate cookies and cakes. Whether they need that or not, just comes with explaining my job history. 

Yes, I agree with adjusting to what they want!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 6:35pm
post #4 of 6

i've had two different jobs where they did not provide a turntable -- i still can't believe it -- no make that three jobs -- i mean talk about the basics...

k3lli3n Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 6:37pm
post #5 of 6

oh woww

RoyalTreatz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RoyalTreatz Posted 24 Apr 2015 , 10:24pm
post #6 of 6

Hello,

OPPORTUNITY OF A LIFETIME! 

I just thought that you all might want to know, or know someone that does, Royal Treatz is awarding / GIVING their bakery to someone who really wants/deserves it.  Go to the website www.RoyalTreatz.com  or go to the facebook page www.facebook.com/royaltreatzcontest to find out more.  

Please share it among your community so anyone that wants to take a shot at it can.  I am sure there are MANY in the community that would love to own their own bakery.

Contest Stared April 23.  Ends August 23.  Then voting begins for final 10

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%