Friday Night Cake Club 4/17/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 19 Apr 2015 , 10:18pm by auntginn

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 3:54am
post #1 of 22

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to tell us about your week, show us your work, ask for help or provide help if you can!

Cat

21 replies
catlharper Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 3:56am
post #2 of 22

Sorry to be late! My son had a baseball game tonight and we just got home again. GREAT night tho...he got an in the park home run and a triple. Really good night for him.  Hope everyone had a great week! My next cake is next week so nothing to share.

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:14am
post #3 of 22

Hi cat, my laptop decided to retire

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:16am
post #4 of 22

Oops, happened again...post cut off

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:17am
post #5 of 22

last try...

julia1812 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:18am
post #6 of 22

Anyway, what I was saying is, I can't post pictures from my phone, so will just enjoy looking at what all you lovely people created until I get a new computer...

auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 6:21am
post #7 of 22

Hello Ladies, Thought I just check in.  I am not ready to post yet.  Working on a very large wedding cake for tomorrow.

A 4 tiered buttercream cake. simple design.  Jus a strip of black ribbon around the bottom and a few red roses.

But it will feed 250 people.  I haven't done a large cake like this is quite some time.

I also had a problem during the week.  A lady ordered chocolate covered apples a few months back for her wedding.  75 in all.  She is in New York while I'm in L.A.  I shipped them to her and when they arrived she contacted me saying that she was disappointed with them because of the bag.  WHA......  Now the bag was an opaque cellophane bag and she apparently wanted a clear, but she never said anything to me regarding that.  She also stated the bows were crushed.  Well of course they were, that's why I used wired ribbon.

She harassed me for a couple of days over this.  Seeing I really couldn't do much to satisfy her, I offered to accept the apples back if she returned them on a timely basis, but she didn't want to do that.  

She filed a complaint against me, to which she added to the complaint stating that the chocolate was falling off the apples, I replied that I had offered her a full refund is she returned the apples but she was refusing to do so.  So that is what she was told by Etsy and paypal (she used a paypal card to pay for them) I'm sure that if she returns them they are going to be rotten, sigh....

Not that I would eat or resell them again anyway.

Lessons learned I guess.  There is no way I will come out winning on this one.  Saddened me that people are like that.

catlharper Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:37pm
post #8 of 22

@julia1812 that totally SUCKS! I had that happen last year and I could barely wait to get my new laptop. Hope it's either an easy fix or you can get a new one soon. Until then just keep taking those photos for sharing when you can!

@auntginn  Yup...I've dealt with those people before. They just want to get what they want for free so they will find any issue they can to do so. As a result I became VERY detail oriented right down to the "I will include the ribbon in the package for you to tie on so they don't get mashed" and I'd tie up the tops of the bags with mini rubberbands. UGH. One of the reasons I don't miss the business anymore. I had one client request cupcakes two states away. I told her they don't ship well and she might end up with a rubble of cake rather than cupcakes. She insisted she was ok with that. So I sent them...to which she complained the icing had "slid" on the top and made them look messy. I said she was lucky to get them intact...and included the quote where she said she was fine taking the chance that they would not turn out perfectly due to transit and, in fact, may be in rubble. She shut up after that. I mean, did she think I wouldn't keep the correspondence? UGH. Obviously she didn't want to return the apples because she had already used them for her wedding...she just wanted money back. Probably because she had spent too much on the wedding!

As for that wedding cake! Wow! I have never made a cake that big. The biggest I have ever done was for 175...and I vowed never again. LOL!  Good luck with it!

Cat

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 4:49pm
post #9 of 22

Hi everyone!

Here's my work for the week:

Baby shower cake pops:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3337254/baby-shower-cake-pops

Baby shower cupcakes:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3337252/baby-shower-cupcakes

Baby shower sugar cookies:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3337255/baby-shower-sugar-cookies

Those tiny shoes were a bit of pain to do, but I managed lol!

catlharper Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:11pm
post #10 of 22

@SweetShop5 Oh! EM! GEEE! Those tiny shoes are SOOOOOO cute! I can only imagine how hard they were to do but WOW!

Cat

auntginn Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 5:54pm
post #11 of 22

Awe... SweetShop, everything is so... adorable.  Love the cake pops, cupcakes with those tiny shoes.  Did you hand cut each one?  Oh my that would be so tedious.  Great job on everything.

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 8:07pm
post #12 of 22

Mine is a little......different, :)

As the image says, these were made to help my 11 yr old son with his science homework. He had to do a display of his own choice to show what red blood cells look like. He decided he wanted them on cupcakes, made of fondant. 

Ended up making 32 of these, took a lot longer than we expected, but he did genuinely help me with them, and his class mates loved them!

He also got a great mark for his homework as he researched how looked and what they were used for, so it was worth it :)

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3337284/blood-cell-cupcakes

catlharper Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 8:10pm
post #13 of 22

@CoinUK unless his teacher is a diabetic these had to get an A! What an original and creative idea!!!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 18 Apr 2015 , 8:14pm
post #14 of 22

Quote by @auntginn on 2 hours ago

Awe... SweetShop, everything is so... adorable.  Love the cake pops, cupcakes with those tiny shoes.  Did you hand cut each one?  Oh my that would be so tedious.  Great job on everything.

Thank you!! Yes, I hand cut each one. Took a while but it was worth it when I saw the final product!

Quote by @catlharper on 3 hours ago

@SweetShop5 Oh! EM! GEEE! Those tiny shoes are SOOOOOO cute! I can only imagine how hard they were to do but WOW!

Cat

Thanks Cat! I can thank my small hands for being to make these tiny details haha!

auntginn Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 4:17am
post #15 of 22
Gingerlocks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gingerlocks Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 5:08am
post #16 of 22

Here's the Daisy Cake I was working on last night..I had a few other's, like a giant cupcake but ran out of time and didn't get them photographed. I'm hoping to get to bed before midnight tonight!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 7:24am
post #17 of 22

Those were great!   I cannot profess enough love for the baby shoes on the pink shag carpet!  The wedding cake is very impressive - I'm weddingcakephobic so RESPECT!  Please don't take this the wrong way but the blood cell cupcakes were a little too accurate.. made me feel a little queasy ;)

This was a birthday cake for a boy who loves Pokemon but not cake, so it's really for his mom!  I filled the molded chocolate Pokeball with buttercream as the boy hates cake but loves frosting.

Pokemon cake

catlharper Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 7:08pm
post #18 of 22

I think the more simple the cake the more of a challenge it is! Your Pokemon cake is SO clean! @Pastrybaglady it takes a lot of skill to make the buttercream that smooth!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 8:20pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks Cat, I have to admit I learned everything from CC - from square corners, to level cakes to smooth icing.  I am so much better from reading these boards!

SweetShop5 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 8:49pm
post #20 of 22

Love the Pokemon cake @pastrybaglady, and like Cat said, the cake looks so clean, amazing! I hope to master buttercream cakes soon like you!

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 9:11pm
post #21 of 22

SweetShop your work is always amazing. I love the shoes they are adorable. 

Auntginn love the cake. Simple elegance at its best.

Coin UK love the cupcakes your sons red cells look so real, hope he got an A.

GingerLock love the daisy cake.

Pastrybaglady what a sweet idea to fill the Pokemon with buttercream bet he enjoyed it.

I haven't done much baking. Working on some gum paste flowers for a cake next week. I am getting ready to bake some cupcakes for work. 

Marian

auntginn Posted 19 Apr 2015 , 10:18pm
post #22 of 22

Ginger Locks very nice daisy cake.

Pastrybaglady, I'm so impressed with your cake and how flawless it is.  AND.... how were you able to post directly to the thread?  I've tried and can't seem to figure it out.

Thank you everyone for your responses to my post.  I have no cake orders until next month for now. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%