Any Ideas For This Support System?

Decorating By storestore Updated 16 Apr 2015 , 6:32am by storestore

storestore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
storestore Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 1:23am
post #1 of 6

Hi, all. I'm making McGreevy's 3D horse head cake. http://www.mcgreevycakes.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/07/front-angle.jpg Shawna uses plastic PVC pipe for the support system (basically a big elbow from the cake board around to the top of the head and then down to the snout). She said the plastic was a good choice so the modelling chocolate snout wouldn't slip off the pipe. Well all I could find was copper pipe. Any ideas how to get some friction on this thing so the snout doesn't slip off? I thought about brushing it with maple syrup and letting it dry? Or candy melts? Thanks!

5 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:02am
post #2 of 6

Just wrap it in modeling chocolate to begin with. Or you could use armature mesh that you get at the craft store and wrap the wire with it to give it a rough surface.

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 4:32am
post #3 of 6

I wonder if you could hot glue some bunched up foil around the pipe. I know that Karen portaleo uses foil in a lot of her sculptures because it's easy to shape, it's food safe and it's a lot lighter than RKT. You could use less modeling chocolate in the process. 

storestore Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 8:50pm
post #4 of 6

Malou, that is a fantastic idea! I'll try is.  Another question... This lady is picking up her cake 2 days from now and eating it 7 days from now. Refrigerate or freeze? Can I freeze a completed modeling chocolate sculplture? Thanks!

malou1021 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
malou1021 Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 4:24am
post #5 of 6

Oh wow, I'm not sure about the time line. I hope someone can offer some advice about this. I would like to know too. 

storestore Posted 16 Apr 2015 , 6:32am
post #6 of 6

Anyone?h

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%