Corn Syrup For Modelling Chocolate

Decorating By happycoolrains Updated 14 Apr 2015 , 5:38pm by happycoolrains

happycoolrains Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
happycoolrains Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 5

Hi,

What are the substitutions for corn syrup to make modelling chocolate.

Will Corn syrup made at home with sugar, water, cream of tarter and salt, work for modelling chocolate.

It would be great if someone can share recipes for corn syrup and modelling chocolate.

We do not get  corn syrup here, and glucose is very expensive. Does golden syrup work?

Thanks,

Rains

4 replies
CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 10:43pm
post #2 of 5

I've made modelling chocolate with golden syrup several times and it works fine. If you're making dark modelling chocolate, it's great for it, but if you're making white modelling chocolate it does tend to add a golden tint to it though.

The biggest trick to making it is getting the ratio right. Milk chocolate is a lot easier, but white can be done with some trial and error.

In both of these cakes, the model was made with homemade modelling chocolate

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153262450113646&l=dc7cd128a8

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153262452663646&l=ad266006d1

Are you based in the UK at all? If so you can also get Karo syrup from the major supermarkets. I've not tried it myself yet, but I do plan on it soon.

happycoolrains Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 2:15pm
post #3 of 5

Wow the cakes are superb.  Good to know that golden syrup works. What recipe you use if you don't mind.

One more question.. For modeling chocolate is it necessary to use pure chocolate or any chocolate is ok.

I am in Ireland... I saw that i amazon uk ...but the delivery charges are too much.

Thank you very much..

Rains

CoinUK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CoinUK Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 5

Honestly, it's not really much of a recipe, it's more about the ratio. I did a lot of reading different sites and they all said different amounts due to using different chocolate manufacturers and syrups!

I did mine with Asda own's brand of cheap baking chocolate and Tate and Lyle's Godlen Syrup. It too me several attempts to get it right so it's just a case of trial and error until you're happy with it.

I know the ratios are different for milk and white chocolate, as is dark chocolate, plus, it varies depending on which chocolate you use as well, so just have it and enjoy the science :D

One tip, white chocolate seems to set a lot harder when it's done. I usually put it in the microwave for a few seconds to soften it slightly and then break it into smaller pieces to knead it when I use it.

happycoolrains Posted 14 Apr 2015 , 5:38pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you so much And thanks for the tip...actually I have tried it once with white chocolate and glucose syrup and it went hard...so I thought I did it wrong.... I will keep trying...thanks once again. 

Rains

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%