Cake Topper Design--Help Needed

Decorating By TurksandCaicos Updated 15 Apr 2015 , 6:57pm by TurksandCaicos

TurksandCaicos Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurksandCaicos Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 8:14am
post #1 of 9

I am attempting to design and make a cake topper for a 6 inch round cake.  This cake will be a child's cake at their upcoming birthday.  Problem is, I'm stumped as to how to construct something like this.  I'm also very new to the world of cake decorating.  

Here is a link to the cake topper I would ideally like to mimic:  

https://www.etsy.com/listing/166820044/hello-kitty-cake-topper-with-name-and

The description for this cake topper says that it comes in a cake pick that just pushes into the cake.  I can't find one of these cake picks anywhere.  It is possible I'm not searching for the right term though.  I've found several cake picks but they are already decorated, not blank.  The closest thing I can think of that I've seen to this is something I saw at Hobby Lobby that goes into the cake and that flowers sit in.  Though these things didn't look like they could hold a cake topper still.  

My main question---how would I even go about making something like that cake topper?  I know I could put all the decorations on wires, cake pop sticks or skewers and simply put them in the cake directly.  Though if there is a way to put them in a  pick and get it to not topple over due to weight and height, that would be great.  

I am open to any suggestions or input anyone would have for me.  I feel really lost right now and I'm not sure what exactly I need to do. 

8 replies
julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 3:52pm
post #2 of 9

Okay, here is what I would do:

If you buy the topper from etsy, you need either a sleeve or a simple straw. The topper comes with wires twisted to a stick at the bottom. Push that wire stick into the sleeve or straw (cut to the hight of you cake, f.e. 4") and push it into the cake. Having it go all the way down to your cake board will help give ir stability, but it doesn't look heavy anyway.

You could of course make the topper from scratch so to speak. Cut out the letters with a cutter using gum paste or modeling fondant, also cut the flowers with a plunger and glue them together. Paint where needed with a mix of sparkling food powder and push them onto wires. Hold everything like a bouquet, twist together the ends of the wires at the bottom and proceed with sleeve/ straw as mentioned above. Place some pink feathers inbetween - done. Even if you are not experienced, this will surely not take longer than an hour!

The reason you wanna use a cake pick or straw is that you don't want the wire to touch the cake which gets eaten. When you pull it out before cutting and serving, the cake that touched the wire stays in the straw and gets pulled out too.

Good luck!

cakeemewithyou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeemewithyou Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 4:40pm
post #3 of 9

Why don't you just use a cake pop stick?

TurksandCaicos Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 9

Thanks for your reply, julia1812!  I won't be buying the cake topper from Etsy for a few reasons but mostly because it won't get here by the time that I need it.  So I'm making it completely from scratch.  Design wise, I'm not that worried.  It is more the construction aspect of it that gives me pause.  Particularly how I'm going to get it to stand in the cake and not topple over from weight.    

I had a great design in mind for a cake topper using skewers that would have been much easier but the child's mother (a relative) is hesitant to do this.  We had a disaster before when making a cake topper using the skewers so she's reticent as a result.  

What kind of stick do you think I would need to wire the topper to?  A cake pop stick doesn't seem like it would be sturdy enough does it?  This would then go into the straw that is inserted in the cake?  Sort of like a vase for flowers?

One of the issues I'm having trouble visualizing is how the topper will stay sturdy and not move.  It won't be on the cake long, just long enough for photos--basically time to make an appearance before the cake is served.  

Here is another idea I've been contemplating, see if you think it would work.  Could the topper be inserted into a dummy cake round placed on top of the actual cake?  The wires would be inserted in the dummy individually instead of in a vase.  

I have a sneaking feeling I am making a mountain out of a molehill.  I just don't know why the skewer bunting idea had to get vetoed.  Looking forward to any input you may have.  Thank you!!

TurksandCaicos Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 9

I don't think a cake pop stick would support the weight of the entire cake topper.  Did you mean a single stick or one for each letter?

julia1812 Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 8:23pm
post #6 of 9

Lol, no mountain in sight!

I think it you use a cake pop stick, a straw or any more or less sturdy tube which is food safe, you won't have a problem.

We are talking about the topper looking like the one you posted, right???

I just made a surfboard cake topper, which was just supported by a flower wire (the slightly thicker ones), standing upright on a cake. Think yours will weight way less.In some cases wires are just easier to handle than skewers, especially if you wanna bend them. And in the picture it looks like the flowers and letters are spread out more or less evenly, balancing the whole thing, so it's not leaning to any side. If you cut a bubble tea straw f.e. to 4" length and push it all the way down to the cake board, you need something quiet high and heavy to make that thing move. Okay, unless you have a very very very light and crumbly cake.... If you want to be super safe, you could use many small straws or sticks next to each other and only insert two or three flower wires...

I wouldn't go as far as making a dummy cake though.

TurksandCaicos Posted 9 Apr 2015 , 8:54pm
post #7 of 9

Yes, we are talking about the one in the Etsy link.  Sorry if I was confusing---my mind is all over the place.  :)

When you made your surfboard cake topper, what anchored it to the cake?  

What keeps the wires from moving once they are inserted into the bubble straws?  Or are the wires wrapped around something like a cake pop stick which is then inserted in the straw?  

What guage floral wire do you recommend?  I have some on hand but don't know if it would be sturdy enough. 

Is it possible to post attachments to messages here?  I would like to sketch a drawing of what I think the construction would look like to see what you think and to see if I understand correctly.  I thought I'd draw it and post to this but I don't see a button for that.

Thanks again for all your help--this cake decorating newbie is super appreciative!

julia1812 Posted 10 Apr 2015 , 5:48am
post #8 of 9

Only the wire and straw anchored it.

Imagine you push a straw into a jar of sugar or flour. Once it's all the way in it's hard to move it sideways, isn't it? The straw will also be filled with sugar or flour (well, actually cake, lol!), so any wire placed into that straw will move less than if it would be hollow. Don't know how many wires you'll have, but would use a straw ir tube not much bigger than the combined wire diameter. I used #18 wires btw.

Oh, and because the individual pieces of the topper will be spread evenly to all sides, there is hardly any force pulling the tube in one specific directions. Like in a vase where all flowers are arranged nicely around the center. Hope that makes sense. Attaching picture and drawings only works by posting them in the gallery first and then copying and pasting the link.

TurksandCaicos Posted 15 Apr 2015 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks for the explanation--the straw in a jar of flour or sugar makes perfect sense.  

Still not sure what I'm going to do with the cake topper.  I'm having trouble finding the right floral wire and don't have time to order any online before I need to bake the cake.  I might have to default to skewers.  

Any recommendations on testing the topper to see if it might sway once placed in the cake--before actually putting it in the cake?  I'm concerned that the weight of the various topper decorations will cause it to shift.  This just makes me nervous that I'm going to mess up the cake decorating..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%