Help With Cupcake Bouquet!

Decorating By 1haleyj Updated 14 Feb 2016 , 3:28pm by jgvcakes

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 2:25pm
post #1 of 5

In the past I've made several cupcake bouquets with no problem...but this weekend....the icing kept sliding off the bottom row...the icing roses slid off completely intact.  At first I thought it was because I used a cream cheese icing which may have been too soft, then I started with new cupcakes and a traditional buttercream icing with shortening, butter, vanilla and powdered sugar.  Icing was a stiff consistent beautiful for the rose design but kept sliding off. Help - I did nothing different than all the other times!

4 replies
learoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
learoe Posted 8 Apr 2015 , 1:54am
post #2 of 5

The cupcakes were cooled right? 

1haleyj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
1haleyj Posted 12 Apr 2015 , 7:55pm
post #3 of 5

yes cooled and refrigerated thanks

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 13 Apr 2015 , 6:53am
post #4 of 5

If you have only made "several", you may not have made enough to have arrived at a consistent, successful method of construction.  It may not be the recipe at all.  You may have gotten "lucky" with the first two, and now problems are showing up.   There are far too many variables for anyone here to provide a meaningful answer.

Your best option is to do a search on this site (if the new format will let you...), and on google for cupcake bouquets.  Study the different methods and then do at least 3-5 to see if they all turn out well.

Good luck!

jgvcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgvcakes Posted 14 Feb 2016 , 3:28pm
post #5 of 5

Same thing happens to me. I usually do the Wilton's buttercream recipe. I've noticed that once the buttercream crusts they start sliding off. I've tried the angles of the cupcakes and they still slide off. I was thinking of using a buttercream that doesn't crust but that the consistency is good enough to hold the roses' shape. 

If you found a way to stop this from happening, please let me know :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%