This Makes My Problems Soooo Trivial!!

Decorating By torki Updated 29 Jan 2007 , 1:28am by bethola

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:21am
post #1 of 18

I offered to make my nephews wedding cake as a gift for March 2008. I am also making their chair covers 180, table runners 20 and choc truffles. This will be my first wedding cake. So trying to be organized & so I would have planty of practice time I designed the cake, 3 square tiers, stacked, with bamboo and oriental lilies, hand made topper and drapes....they loved it!!icon_biggrin.gif

Well last night I had a call from my very distressed nephew, his soon to be MIL (who is one of the sweetest ladies I have ever meet) had just been diagnosed with a brain tumor and was rushed in for brain surgery. After the surgery they were told it was very aggressive and even with removal and treatment she has only a few months to live.... OMG. icon_eek.gif .

Understandably the wedding is now being moved forward to this March and the reception will now be at my brothers house with 80 guests. My nephew and my soon-to-be-niece are totally devastated and are now with the help of my brother and SIL are madly trying to organize their dream wedding in only five odd weeks to make sure her mum will see her only daughter marry. My nephew asked whether it was still ok if I could make everthing especially the cake as they loved the design so much. Of course I agreed , how could I not !!
After the call, i sat and had a really big icon_cry.gif After I sort of composed myself my thoughts turned to the job at hand...... I have to help make sure their day is really special. I have five weeks to make 80 chair covers, 14 table runners, 200 odd truffles and a stacked cake ...... OMG I don't even know how to stack a cake yet. now the panic is setting in.......This morning I order the material for the chairs etc and it wont be in until th 15th of Feb icon_surprised.gif not a good start!! I was hoping to start them next week..... I can see there is going to be a lot of sleepless nights and whole lot of questions posted in the next few weeks.....hopefully, with the help of everyone on CC I can pull this off!!

17 replies
revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:29am
post #2 of 18

Oh! that's heartbreaking! You can do it!
I wish i lived near you to help!

kaychristensen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaychristensen Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:40am
post #3 of 18

First off I can feel your pain. My granfather past Away the day before my sister got married. I didn't have to do as much as you but he was my grand-pa to. So first know I am thinking of your family. And second take a deep breath and think. Do you have family members that can help you with minor details?? Cutting fabric, Mixing icing, forming the truffles. Any little help will help you and you can supervise and do the detailed work. Sewing things together and decorating, baking. I wish you luck and my thoughts are with your family

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:10am
post #4 of 18

That is very sad. It will be so difficult for the bride to really enjoy this wedding with knowing her mother is leaving her. But, on the wedding cake itself, looking at your photo album in the gallery this cake will be a snap for you. Doing that many chairs with the time constraint and now the delay in fabric could be stressful. Is there anyone, family or friend who could work with you on these? Is renting them ready decorated an option?

Zmama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zmama Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm
post #5 of 18

A dream wedding in 5 weeks CAN be done. Perhaps since they won't be using the chair covers again they can rent, like suggested. Table runners should be easy if you can get material cut to length. For the truffles, I've heard icon_redface.gif Godiva Chocolatier has some amazing truffles.

katy625 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katy625 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:20pm
post #6 of 18

That is so sad icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif That is a touchy subject here too because my DH had a brain tumor about 5 years ago that luckily he beat but its stressfull no less thinking about it. I wish I lived by you, I would so help you out! Is there no other place to get the Fabric? If you have family I would recruit some serious help! Good luck with everything!

KatieTaylor77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieTaylor77 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:24pm
post #7 of 18

Considering your deadline, I think a few adjustments are in order.

Scratch the chair covers . . . you can rent them for dirt cheap and most linen rental companies have a great selection. If you can get away with it, rent the table runners too . . . or try and find some affordably priced.

As for the truffles and cake . . . I think the most important part of your contribution would be to focus on the edible gifts you are presenting them with. Not everyone has an Aunt who can make their wedding cake and truffles for them . . . as a bride, I would rather have a kicka** cake than worry about the chair covers.

Good luck . . . I recently delved into event planning for a few clients and it can be hair raising trying to hand-make so many things. Sometimes its best to go with Plan B on some more minor details, especially when the wedding has to be thrown together so quickly.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:35pm
post #8 of 18

Everyone here has already given you some great advice. In my opinion I would focus on a fantastic cake...what are the guests gonna remember? What they sat on? The amazing cake? Chocolates?
I am so sorry for you...like the others said, if I were closer, I would do that cake for you...or at least help out.
I pray that God wraps his arms'n'angels around you and the rest of the family.
xoxoxo

SugarBakerz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarBakerz Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:43pm
post #9 of 18

Wow... so sorry to hear this, but I like most of the forum members agree, your edible contribution is going to be far more memorable than where they sit and whether or not the tables are covered.. if you have to cover something, do a knock out wedding cake table cover and then rent the rest. As for not knowing how to stack, it isn't hard and we will all be happy to help you via the forums, ask away.... but don't forget you have other options... wilton makes many beautiful cake stands, and given the circumstances, I am sure the bride isn't going to be too upset if the tiers aren't all stacked, I am almost positive she will be thinking of other things... your nephew too will understand... so don't forget that option. Good luck and you and your family will be in my prayers.....

godspeed!

paolacaracas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
paolacaracas Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:47pm
post #10 of 18

IMO you have 4 weeks for tables and chairs and the las week for the edibles, which is plenty of time to make cake and trufles, so focus on the tables, you have a month, with calm and focus you can totally make it!
You are luky to be such an important part of this girl's and her mom's most special day
Paola

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:49pm
post #11 of 18

What a blessing you will be for this couple. I agree with others that perhaps you would be better served to rent SOMETHING and maybe buy the truffles. I know you don't want to stress the bride any more than she already it, so can you talk to SIL and maybe run the rental thing by her? If not, hey, I'd get anyone that could thread a needle! Also, maybe someone could help by cooking some meals for you!

God Bless You and Good Luck! If I was able to come help I would!

Beth in KY

cinderspritzer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cinderspritzer Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 18

I agree that the cake is going to be the most-remembered part of the whole thing, so that should take precendence.

Someone else said it and I second it. Ask for help. I'm sure both families know that it's now a rush, and they'd be more than willing to help with cutting fabric and icing mixture and anything else you ask them for. Everyone wants it to be a fantastic wedding, so they'll help. Ask them, don't be afraid.

If I was there, I'd help you in a second.

sweetsbycheryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsbycheryl Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:53pm
post #13 of 18

Good Luck to you!! I wish I lived near so that I could help!! I will keep your family in my prayers and use our forum if we can help in any way, we will!!
Keep Smiling and take a deep breath!! You can do it!! icon_biggrin.gif

bellejoey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellejoey Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:54pm
post #14 of 18

Oh, that is making me cry! I wish I lived there, I would help you! WOW! I'll say a really big prayer for you! You can do it!

dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:05pm
post #15 of 18

I am so sorry for your nephew and his new family.

This can be done and it will be beautiful! Like others had said-look into rental for the chair covers and the runners. These are easy to find in rental and most companies have a beautiful selection.

Focus your energy on the cake and supporting your nephew and his soon to be wife.

Read the article on stacked cake construction on here. It will get you started. When I get a minute a bit later today I will try to compile a list of tips for you.

dldbrou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dldbrou Posted 27 Jan 2007 , 3:50am
post #16 of 18

Do you have a serger machine? If you are still going to make the chair covers and table runners, a serger will make everything go faster. This machine cuts, zizzags and stitches a straight seam at the same time. If you don't have one find someone that does and enlist their help. I have never made truffles, so I do not know what advise to give you. As far as the cake goes, dodibug will get you on track and I am sure others will help walk you through everything. Take a deep breath, get some paper and organize your time schedule to fit it all in. You can do it. You go girl.

torki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
torki Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:22am
post #17 of 18

Thank you everyone for your responses, after reading them all (with a few glasses of Kahlua) and a good nights sleep...things didn't seem too bad. With a new to-do list and a long chat to the bride-to-be, she has agreed to change the colour of the chair covers and table runners to cream so I am going to make them out of calico....picked up 2 bolts of it this morning at a very reduced price and the perfect width so only need to make one cut per chair, and DH is cutting out as I type this. icon_lol.gif So I should have these finished by Friday....time to dust off the Janome's!!!! So hopefully I can start the cake topper and bamboo trims for the cake. I have ordered all my supplies for the truffles, the cake servers, champagne flutes, cake bags and picked up the lily cutters..... now I'm starting to feel like I'm getting on top of everything icon_lol.gif

My DH has always said I work better under pressure....we'll see if he is right in a few weeks lol ....thanks again everyone thumbs_up.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 1:28am
post #18 of 18

Your DH sounds like mine. A GOOD MAN!! I bet he can even cook in a pinch can't he!

Sounds like you are ahead of the game!

YOU GO GIRL!!

Beth in KY

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%