Attaching Fondant To Bc?

Decorating By albumangel Updated 26 Jan 2007 , 5:37am by albumangel

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:44am
post #1 of 7

I'm attaching thin, 2"-3" square fondant accents to the sides of a 9" round, torted & filled cake covered in BC. I've gotten diferent reports- some say it will stay attached just fine as long as I use a crusting BC. Others say that fondant won't stick to BC at all, or only to very stiff BC.

Any advice? Thanks!

6 replies
bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:52am
post #2 of 7

I've never had any trouble when I attach fondant to buttercream. I pipe buttercream on the back side of the decoration right at the edges and then a blob in the middle for extra "glue". SOMETIMES, if the piece is heavy (fondant too thick) it might TRY and come off, if so, I take off all the buttercream and reapply. If you don't you just end up with lots of layers of buttercream and then it really won't stick!

GOOD LUCK AND HAPPY BAKING!

Beth in KY

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 2:52am
post #3 of 7

I was taught by wilton to use a thin layer of buttercream on a cake before I put the fondant on so the fondant would have something to stick to and to get rid of imperfections. I don't see why your accents wouldn't stick. I am sure they would on the crusting buttercream anyway. I don't have any experience with MBCs though.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:38am
post #4 of 7

I've never had any trouble......icon_wink.gif

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:42am
post #5 of 7

It should stick with no problems as long as the fondant accents are not too thick and heavy--the may slide down the side of the cake. You can attach them with either water, BC, or piping gel--whatever works best for you! thumbs_up.gif

srodge1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
srodge1 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:54am
post #6 of 7

I've never had any problems with fondant accents that are 1/8" thick. Check out the Cars cake in my photos. All the black 'checkers' are 1" square fondant accents. None fell or slipped. As I cut one, I would immediately place it on the cake (no drying time). Worked great! Good luck!!

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:37am
post #7 of 7

Thanks, everyone! I proceed in the morning with your assurances...
The gal at my local cake decorating shop got me nervous about it, and I really appreciate all of your advice! icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%