Need Help With New Crystal Candy "isis Lace Mat"

Sugar Work By LauraLovesCake Updated 2 Apr 2015 , 3:40pm by -K8memphis

LauraLovesCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LauraLovesCake Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 12:56am
post #1 of 6

This is my first time making the Homemade Sugar Lace mixture from SbCakes on You-tube & Sugar Tree's Lace Recipe on You-tube. My mixture is very gelatin like and is very difficult to smooth into this VERY Detailed Isis Lace Mat.  Has anyone else had any trouble using the homemade sugar lace recipe with Crystal Candy's new Isis Lace Mat. Any help would be appreciated.

I used the mixer to mix up all the ingredients just like the videos and still struggling for it to come out right. Thanks in advance. This is to be on a Wedding Cake that is due in 2 days..so kinda freaking out!  

5 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 6

no sorry never used any of that before -- my advice is for going forward -- never wait this long to try something new -- if you can't test it two or three weeks to a month in advance -- don't do it -- 

can you get a hold of any of the other products of this type -- 

can you take a few small parts of the mixture and test what happens with 

1. water
  2. more icing sugar
  3. add both water and sugar
  4. piping gel
i've got a gelatin book -- i can go look up something in there -- brb --

hope somebody with experience pipes up for you soon -- how's it going?

Jedi Knight Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jedi Knight Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 3:03pm
post #3 of 6

Crystal Candy has made that mat specifically to work with their product. It might not be interchangeable to be able to work with homemade fake lace crap.

LauraLovesCake Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 3:15pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks -K8memphis!  The weather was very humid and damp yesterday, so it wreaked havoc on my sugar lace...always the case when working with sugar, right?  I have worked with lace mats before..and the Sugar Veil mixture before...just haven't with this  VERY Fine Detailed Lace Mat.  Thank you for commenting.  Gonna try again later when humidty is lower.

Have a Sweet Day!  And Have a Happy Easter!!

LauraLovesCake Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 3:21pm
post #5 of 6

Thanks for your reply Jedi Knight.  Cake store was out of their lace mix, just had the mat that my Bride wanted on her cake, so was trying to make the homemade gummy lace.  FYI: for anyone else who buys this mat. The homemade sugar lace does not work with all the intricate details of the Crystal Candy Isis Lace Mat.    

Happy Easter! 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 2 Apr 2015 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 6

you are so right, Laura, humidity has been the inspiration for many prayers throughout the cake kingdom --

it's also really good to hear you are already experienced with products like this -- whew -- hopefully all will go well for you-- that lace mat is gorgeous--- gorgeously treacherous --

best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%