Teaching A Lefty

Decorating By heracastle Updated 31 Mar 2015 , 5:17am by kakeladi

heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 2:26pm
post #1 of 7

Hello Everyone,

My 7 year daughter has asked me to teach her how to decorate cakes.  She's left handed and I'm right handed.  We figured out making clowns and she's working just controlling getting the icing out of the bag.  Is there any directions out there that will help us do roses and such left handed?  We've been able to help her learn other things left handed such has shooting a basketball and encourage her to be different, but this one I'm at a loss of how to help.

Thanks,

Michelle

6 replies
cakesrock Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesrock Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 2:48pm
post #2 of 7

Following.... my 7 yr old daughter and 9 yr old son are both left-handed too!

I found this discussion on Wilton:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=13&threadid=168802

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 3:08pm
post #3 of 7

I was going to say the same as the the post on Wilton.  Have her sit across from you and do everything mirror image.

BakerBlackCat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBlackCat Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 5:33pm
post #4 of 7

I enjoy Cake Style's videos on YouTube (link below), and Vanessa is a lefty.  While I'm not a lefty, I'm a visual learner, and it really helps to see someone do all the things they talk about!  In the last couple of her videos that I've watched, she covers how she holds the pastry bag, as well as doing some practice runs on acetate to see how she positions everything.  (I watched the Buttercream Petal Cake and the Buttercream Rose cake most recently...)

HTH!

ammcats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ammcats Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 7:33pm
post #5 of 7

I'm  a lefty (and a very dominant one at that).  To be honest I had never given it a second thought, but one day I was showing a friend cupcake swirls, roses etc, and she commented they were all going the wrong way!!  I love my left handed roses ;)  just show her and watch how she adapts it to her style.  There is never a wrong way to do things, just different ways .

heracastle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heracastle Posted 29 Mar 2015 , 10:14pm
post #6 of 7

Oh I knew you guys would be able to help point me in the right direction.  Thank you so very much.  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 31 Mar 2015 , 5:17am
post #7 of 7

I'm a lefty and when I 1st started decorating lessons the teacher said I would never be able to make b'cream (or royal) roses but later I met a (right handed) lady who was able to teach me.

Then when I became a Wilton instruction I had to force myself to learn right-handed so I could teach it -  Boy was that ever hard:)  I once had one student who had a deformed right hand.  Because she was not left handed brain wise we had to improvise but she ended up making the most beautiful roses - NOT the Wilton way but beautiful just the same.

Yes, as the others said have her sit directly in front of you and mimic every move you make.  And don't worry if she doesn't do it *EXACTLY* the same - as long as it looks like a flower PRAISE HER!  Roses (well, almost all flowers) take time to master.  You might get 3 or 4 look just right and you think - AH HA!, then suddenly you can't get one to look anywhere right but keep at it - practice, practice, practice and one day it will fall into place :) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%