Strange Cake Recipe Question

Decorating By yoktom Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 12:28pm by jen1977

yoktom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yoktom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 12:52am
post #1 of 23

Has anyone heard of a cake that isn't cake at all, but crushed Nilla wafers with layers of fruit and cream cheese? I have a bride with this request, apparently they hate cake (THE SHAME!)...has anyone seen this before?

22 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JanH Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:58am
post #2 of 23

I don't know how crushed vanilla wafers could maintain a cake-like shape, let alone be able to support filling and fruit!

There must be some key info that she hasn't given you icon_sad.gif

Here's a cake recipe that has a box of crushed vanilla wafers (no flour) as an ingredient:

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/29/Vanilla_Wafer_Cake43936.shtml

http://southernfood.about.com/od/coconutcakes/r/bln377.htm

http://www.blossomswap.com/garden-forums/showthread.php?p=103009

Even found a crockpot recipe:

http://baking.about.com/od/crockpotbaking/r/vanillawafercak.htm

HTH

cakenutz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakenutz Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:06am
post #3 of 23

Sounds like something paula deene did check food network GL

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 6:11am
post #4 of 23

maybe you could tweek it and make it your own recipe. you know how a cheese cake has crushed grahm crackers mixed with melted butter to make it hold its shape?

to me this sounds like a homey cheesecake.

use a pan that has the side release (springform?) and make alternating layers or crushed cookie and butter, chill. layer cream cheese, chill. layer fruit puree (i'd use one thickened with cornstarch for stability - pm me if you want a recipe i frequently use). another layer of crust, cc, fruit and top it off with swirls of whipped cream and fresh berries or sliced seasonal fruit and fresh flowers.

sounds quite refreshing actually!

MarieAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarieAnna Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 7:52am
post #5 of 23

I think icon_rolleyes.gif it may be the kind of cake that is similar to the Trifle cake but instead of having layers of cake it has layers of either crumb vanilla cookies or soaked lady fingers cookies, then a layer of cream cheese & pudding, fruits.
Repeat it ending with what ever you decide, crumbs or fruits. In some places I heard they called it "Postre Frio" (Cold Dessert).

MarieAnna

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 8:23am
post #6 of 23

Sounds like an icebox cake. The one I have had of is chocolate graham crackers layered with whipped cream and cherries, similar to a black forest cake. You can't slice and serve, you basically scoop it out and serve it. I have never heard of a request such as the one you have received. Could you maybe suggest individual size of these desserts served in cocktail glasses? They make them out of plastic now that look very nice. HTH!

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 1:40pm
post #7 of 23

hoping the bride isn't expecting you to do the same level of decoration and such that a cake would support?

yoktom Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 4:57pm
post #8 of 23

She is supposed to be sending a picture, and yes, it is tiered...I am just as confused as the rest of ya. icon_smile.gif I will check out Paula Deen's site, that sounds probably right. Who knows!

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 26 Jan 2007 , 5:04pm
post #9 of 23

interesting idea.....let us all know what you find out!

JanH Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 5:55pm
post #10 of 23

Hey Yoktom,

Any info from the bride on the amazing nilla wafer, not cake, tiered wedding dessert?

I'd love to see the picture she sent icon_smile.gif

yoktom Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:12pm
post #11 of 23

Okay, believe it or not, THIS is the picture I got. It was also followed by this recipe:

Crust:
1 1/2 cups finely crushed vanilla wafers
1/2 cup finely chopped macadamia nuts
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted

Filling:
1-2 Limes
2 containers cream cheese spread *8 oz each 1 pineapple 1 regular
1/3 cup powdered sugar

various tropical fruits for decoration.

They want the filling taller, like a cake - but with this soft of a filling, that isn't going to happen, I am trying to change the recipe a bit for firmness and stability, hopefully not sacrificing flavor. And yes, this is the actual picture, I haven't altered it in any way. I have no idea what to do with this...any suggestions? icon_smile.gif LOL.
LL

TerriLea1993 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TerriLea1993 Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 6:56pm
post #12 of 23

This may sound silly but if they want it taller, couldn't you put some sort of cake board in between it and support it with dowels? It is just a thought... And having the filling ooze out is a thought for decoration, it may sound gross but sometimes it can be tastefully... Good Luck

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 8:09pm
post #13 of 23

Is the crust layer baked? If not, I would be concerned with this crumbling under the weight of a couple layers of filling. Maybe lightly bake it so it can be handled more like a cookie?
The filling layer could be stiffened and stabilized a bit with powdered sugar or maybe even some unflavored gelatin or dream whip powder.
In the picture it almost looks like there are some marischino cherries in the filling too. I think I'd start with a cream cheese icing recipe, add some well drained crushed pineapple and some lime juice to flavor (& maybe cherries), and go from there. If you use the flavored cream cheese spreads, that will be very $$ and they are softer than reg cream cheese.
I agree- only stack a couple layers, then use cake separator plates and pillars or dowels.
This is very unique! Quite a challenge!

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:48am
post #14 of 23

it sounds like one of the cakes that you use the clear cake band on. check this site for the band:

http://www.kopykake.com/cd_accessories.html

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 12:56am
post #15 of 23

That "cake" sounds good. icon_rolleyes.gif

Now I don't like cake per se but I do like my cake and others for that exception. . .I just don't like Costco or any of those other nasty sheet cakes with the roses. . .and the BC filling. . . thumbsdown.gif

MarieAnna Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MarieAnna Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 1:12am
post #16 of 23

I think that you can use one of those 'c. ring/band ' or cheesecake ring to mount the layers until they are set.

MarieAnne

Taunti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Taunti Posted 3 Feb 2007 , 4:16am
post #17 of 23

What about an Italian butter cream with the hint of lime? It will be firmer if you add half shortening and half butter, they may not know the difference.

It looks like a tart like cake, still don't understand the vanilla wafer part, and not sure even with a butter cream if you can get it much higher.

Good Luck, would love to see the done product. icon_smile.gif

JanH Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 7:25am
post #18 of 23

yoktom, was wondering if you had made a test run on the bride's recipe yet?

Look forward to the further adventures of the cake that wasn't really cake at all icon_smile.gif

caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 7 Feb 2007 , 5:20pm
post #19 of 23

I'm with you JanH! This might be a nice alternative to offer as a grooms cake. Hard to believe that there are cake-haters out there!

yoktom Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 3:16am
post #20 of 23

Well, here is how it turned out(Photos are also in my gallery...!)
I had to bore holes into the crust before I baked it to make sure it didn't crack when I put the pillars through. It was a big hit, AND it stayed standing. icon_smile.gif whew!

Thanks to all you who helped me with this one! This took me WAY out of my comfort zone, but it turned out great. Although the layers look lopsided in the pictures, I assure you, it is just the angles, they were all the same height.

JanH Posted 18 Feb 2007 , 6:58pm
post #21 of 23

Kudos to you for making the impossible cake possible icon_biggrin.gif

(Also, looks fabulous thumbs_up.gif )

Momkiksbutt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Momkiksbutt Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:30am
post #22 of 23

I know exactly how this cake was done!

I have recipe for a "filling" that you can use that will be firm, and tasty.....

It's actually done with a no-bake cheese cake recipe and the fruits are added to it. And yes, there is a crust made out of vanilla wafers, but I add a little extra something to make it taste just heavenly. Here you go:

Crust/Base

1 Box Vanilla cookies(crushed or pulvarized in blender)
1/2 cup sugar
1 Cup pulverized walnuts
1 cup melted butter

Melt the butter in a microwave measuring cup. Mix all dry ingredients until well incorperated. Add butter and mix with your hands until it forms a good "dough" ball. Press this mixture into the bottom of a greased cake pan. Bake for 15 minutes or until done. Let cool completely. Lay a cake board the exact size of the bottom of the pan on top of the crust and turn over. Now you are ready for filling!

Filling

1 large tub cool-whip topping( no substitutes)
1 Cup Sour Cream( I use only Tillamook because it is thicker)
1/3 Cup Sugar

Mix all ingredients well in KA until smooth and very fluffy. Make sure when adding fruit that you only use fresh(no canned) fruit. Make sure to fulling drain any juices that may drip from fruit before applying to filling mixture. lightly add the fruit to the filling or layer it on top if you prefer.

This filling is sturdy and will keep it's shape if handled properly. For tiering a cake with this recipe, you will need to follow the same steps as a normal cake, only allow a small space about 1/4 of an inch between the layers to allow for air flow to keep the fruit from leaking onto the layer above it. You can conceal the gap by piping a ribbon with some of the filling along it.

Hope this helps you in your efforts!!!

PM me if you have any questions!!

Good luck!!

Lisa icon_biggrin.gif

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:28pm
post #23 of 23

It turned out great, and sounds delicious!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%