Tips For Stacking A Non Crusting Buttercream Cake

Baking By vannah1986 Updated 1 Apr 2015 , 7:49pm by vannah1986

vannah1986 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vannah1986 Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 7:35pm
post #1 of 11

So my finance's mother has asked me to donate a cake to the local humane society annual fundraiser. I'll be doing a 4 tier and two side cakes to feed 300 guests. I use swiss buttercream, and I find its easiest for me to stack cakes when the buttercream is fresh out of the fridge or freezer and solid. The hall that the fundraiser will be held does not have a fridge or freezer, and I can't deliver the cake already stacked as my car will not allow it. any ideas? I really need help!

10 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 7:36pm
post #2 of 11

what kind of car do you have

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 7:39pm
post #3 of 11

i mean the average 4 tier is under 20 inches -- you'd probably need help carrying it though -- in my car, a 4-door sedan i can get 4 tier cakes with a bottom tier of 16" and room in the trunk for more

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 7:40pm
post #4 of 11

and how big is your bottom tier and your side cakes how big will those be --

you could to two 150's

vannah1986 Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 11

I have a 2006 dodge stratus, not sure if you're familiar with them but its a pretty roomy trunk, Just didn't think it was a good idea to transport a 4 tier cake in lol the stacked cakes will be 12" 9" 7" and 5" and the two side cakes will be a 10" and 8". the slices being 1x1 (so really thats like 346 servings). 

-K8memphis Posted 27 Mar 2015 , 8:28pm
post #6 of 11

you can get that in your car easy -- 2 door or 4 door? those are small cakes --  no worries

my suggestion for you -- get three rolls of paper towels and three half sheet pans or cookie sheets or whatever you have like that cake boards even and level your car seats now -- for your peace of mind -- also cut three pieces of nubbley shelf liner to set on the sheet pans so the cake boxes don't slide -- then store all that in your trunk -- done -- i usually try to get a seat belt around the box too day of --

so if it's a 2-door you can get the side cakes in the back seat and the passenger seat will hold the 4-tier -- no problem --

also you want to box all these to minimize stress and opportunity for disaster -- i can get 16x16" boxes straight into my car without tipping them or anything so your 4 tier would fit in there and the others go in smaller boxes no worries -- so you'll want to measure now way before hand so you can feel real secure about it --

say i had a 14" cake sitting on an 18" plateau -- ruh roh won't fit -- no not not all -- i just put the 14" on a 16" secure cake board all into the 16" box and put the plateau in the trunk -- no worries --

so anyhow -- you got this -- and while help would be nice -- your can manage the weight of the 4-tier -- but you could even have a helper wedged in between the cakes on the back seat

vannah1986 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:13pm
post #7 of 11

I have a 4 door, which will make this all the more easier. thank you so much for your help! 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:18pm
post #8 of 11

you're welcome would love to see pictures -- the loaded in the car pictures however you accomplish it and of the cakes too

best to you

vannah1986 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:26pm
post #9 of 11

I will definitely give it a go! IF I fail at loading the cake in the car I'm SO not taking pics though lol! 

-K8memphis Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 5:46pm
post #10 of 11

you're so funny -- get it all ready in advance -- it will feel so good -- you can get the boxes at storage places or at uhaul or even at walmart & targets -- yknow tape up the empty box and see what will fit through your doors -- you got this!

vannah1986 Posted 1 Apr 2015 , 7:49pm
post #11 of 11

I'm so nervous! thank you or your help and I will definitely try this out :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%