How Many Servings??

Baking By AJT2012 Updated 28 Mar 2015 , 2:53pm by AJT2012

AJT2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AJT2012 Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 4:49pm
post #1 of 6

Hi!  I'm trying to figure out how many servings the Wilton 3-D Lamb cake will yield.  The assembled cake dimensions (according to the box) are 7" x 10" x 4.5".   I've checked the Wilton website for their serving chart, but no mention of this cake is on it.  The fact that the head is much higher than the body means having to cut it off and slice it separately.  That would leave me with a body of 10" long x 4.5" wide, but I guess I need to know how high the body would be and determine from there...then do the same for the head?  If anyone knows how to do this, or has already done this, I would love your help!  I'd like to know how get those serving numbers for other 3-D cakes as well.  Thanks!

5 replies
TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 6:29pm
post #2 of 6

I have made this cake for Easter for several years so my experience is family not business oriented.  Disclaimer though, my mother-in-law usually cuts the pieces and she has an unstoppable sweet tooth so portions tend to be for giants not regular humans.  If I were cutting the lamb, I would be able to get 18 to 25 servings out of the whole lamb.  I use a very dense carrot cake recipe with carrots, raisins, coconut and nuts so the cake does not fill out the form as a regular cake would; may contribute to the lower servings as well.  Hope this helps a little bit.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 9:19pm
post #3 of 6

12 to 18 servings depending on who is cutting the cake.  It ALWAYS depends on who is cutting the cake.  Like TeresaCarol above, I could probably get 25 servings, but I have had practice with cake cutting.  Just like the Practice Practice Practice to perfect recipes, frosting, techniques, bakers need to practice actually cutting  the cakes they make.  Trust me, it IS harder than it looks, but once you've cut and served 3-6 cakes of different sizes and shapes, you will have the skills.

AJT2012 Posted 26 Mar 2015 , 10:38pm
post #4 of 6

OK!  Thanks for the info TheresaCarol and Apti.  I guess the best way is to actually cut it! 

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 2:26am
post #5 of 6

AJT---I strongly recommend that all hobby bakers practice cutting their cakes.  I learned by cutting cakes at birthday parties and church events.  The good part is that everyone is supportive because they don't want to be the one cutting the cake! 

One of the "secrets" is to have all your cutting/serving/plating things ready BEFORE you cut the cake:

Plates

Cutting knife (I buy the 8" to 10" scalloped edge bread knives available at the Dollar store)

Damp (not wet) nice-looking tea towel and/or a stack of pre-separated paper towels.

Clean, small box to place on the floor for trash.

FOOD SAFE GLOVES

It is also very helpful to review (before the event), the sizes you should be cutting to get the planned number of servings. 

This is a link to a thread with printable instructions on how to make "pretend" slices of cake out of paper or cardstock so you and the person receiving the cake can see how big the slices should actually be on a plate:

http://www.wilton.com/forums/messageview.cfm?catid=8&threadid=142470&FTVAR_MSGDBTABLE=

I use the Indydebi method of cutting cakes (works on every shape and size), but instead of using a "cake comb", I use a spatula or my gloved hand. 

http://cateritsimple.blogspot.com/search/label/cake%20comb

AJT2012 Posted 28 Mar 2015 , 2:53pm
post #6 of 6

Hi Apti.  Thanks for your response.  I would also urge all hobby bakers to practice cutting cakes.  It's a great idea.  My question was simply about number of servings for a particular 3-D pan that I have not used before.  Perhaps all the hobby bakers reading this forum will be able to use your "secrets"...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%