Frosting Flub

Decorating By ejonesy13 Updated 23 Mar 2015 , 4:38am by ejonesy13

ejonesy13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ejonesy13 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 1:48am
post #1 of 6

Soooo.. This almost never happens, but I was up REALLY late making a cake and I made WAY too much frosting. It's chocolate so I know I'll use it sometime in the near future, but until then; what is the longest you would store a basic buttercream in the freezer? The recipe is pretty simple (butter, sugar, cocoa, vanilla) if that matters and I would store it in a tupperware. Thoughts and personal experience welcome. Thanks :)

5 replies
B-Line Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B-Line Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 2:04am
post #2 of 6

I would put it in a zip top bag and squeeze out as much air as you can.  Double bag this way and then put that in tupperware to keep out any off flavors.  It should keep it at least 6 mos.  Shouldn't get freezer burn doing that and there's so  much fat, I think your most likely thing is off flavors but the plastic should protect it from that.

ejonesy13 Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 2:11am
post #3 of 6

6 months really, that's amazing! I will double bag it before I put it in the tupperwear as you suggest. I shouldn't have to save it more than a month, but those off flavors can be quick and sneaky. Thanks :)

B-Line Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
B-Line Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 2:16am
post #4 of 6

Good luck, I have'nt had any problems doing that.  I do have a deep freezer which gets colder than my regular fridge - freezer, but if it's just for a month that should be fine.

yortma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
yortma Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 2:30pm
post #5 of 6

I have frozen SMBC , IMBC and ABC for up to 3 months with no problem at all.   I try to keep lots of frosting on hand and make up batches whenever I have a chance.  I freeze it in those lidded plastic deli pint or quart containers, typically with no flavoring added.  When needed, it can then used for any flavor, and the flavorings and additions are all nice and fresh. Leftovers with flavorings already added freeze beautifully as well.  (For IMBC and SMBC just be sure to defrost completely before mixing it up again).  HTH 

ejonesy13 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 4:38am
post #6 of 6

Thanks!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%