Friday Night Cake Club For 3/20/15

Decorating By catlharper Updated 23 Mar 2015 , 2:34pm by julia1812

catlharper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
catlharper Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:15am
post #1 of 18

Opening up another session of the FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share their week, photos of their work, ask for help if they need it or provide help if they can!

Cat

17 replies
catlharper Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:21am
post #2 of 18

The most creative I got this week was making cookies! Shortbread for St. Patrick's Day and sugar cookies for my son's school lunches. That was that. However here is the Shortbread Recipe!

1 cup softened butter

1/3 cup white sugar

2 cups flour

1tsp vanilla

Cream butter and sugar together then add vanilla. Add in flour and mix till it starts to come together into a ball. Press into an ungreased glass or ceramic baking dish till flat. Poke with a fork all over then, using a sharp knife, cut into wedges. Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes or till golden brown. Cool in pan and re-slice for serving. Good warm, great cold!

Hope you guys enjoy this recipe...it's been in our family for about 40 years. You can add lemon or orange zest to this recipe or even dip into chocolate but this plain recipe is really yummy!

Cat

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:44pm
post #3 of 18

Hi all,

have taken a little time off baking as I had some issues with my generator and since we have sooo many power cuts, I didn't want to risk not being able to complete an order.

So, today I made my first cake in 2 weeks - was a nice brake actually - and I enjoyed making it. It's for a boy who - obviously - loves SMARTIES!

It's a vanilla cake, filled with chcocolate fudge and iced with chocolate buttercream, then covered in smarties. The birthday message I've written in gum paste circles inserted in skewers and then in paper straws. I thought of making a design out of the smarties, like lines in one color or a wave or something similar, but quite frankly, the money I got for it wasn't worth the effort, LOL.

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334242/smarties-number-4-cake

pek2Aw83Pv-smarties-number-4-cake_900.jpg

julia1812 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 3:45pm
post #4 of 18

LOL, okay, was trying "drag and drop" with the picture, but that obviously went wrong 8-o 

Sorry!

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:43pm
post #5 of 18

My client's daughter is having a French cooking class for her birthday party and requested a French plate on top of her birthday cake.  So this was my first attempt at a fondant plate decorated with royal accents.  I tried making a cookie one first and tried to royal ice it but the icing was a little too loose and ran and looked really messy.   This cake also gave me a chance to practice my scroll work.

Oh, and copy and paste works better than drag and drop!

YlWXDMGzqF-plate-cake_900.jpg

Pastrybaglady Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:45pm
post #6 of 18

Hmm, I notice we're both leaning to the right...

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:59pm
post #7 of 18

I did some cake pops for an event, some sugar cookies for a baby shower, and a rosette cake for a bridal shower this weekend!

Baby shower cookies:

http://cdn.cakecentral.com.s3.amazonaws.com/gallery/2015/03/dqCNIjOflz-baby-shower-sugar-cookies_900.jpg

Bridal shower cake:
http://cdn.cakecentral.com.s3.amazonaws.com/gallery/2015/03/eZgPD7sLYx-rosette-bridal-shower-cake_900.jpg

Cake pops:

http://cdn.cakecentral.com.s3.amazonaws.com/gallery/2015/03/Fl6j6747lr-purple-and-white-cake-pops_900.jpg

I have no idea how to add photos on here lol

SweetShop5 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 7:59pm
post #8 of 18

I did some cake pops for an event, some sugar cookies for a baby shower, and a rosette cake for a bridal shower this weekend!

Baby shower cookies:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334264/baby-shower-sugar-cookies

Bridal shower cake:
http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334236/rosette-bridal-shower-cake

Cake pops:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334193/purple-and-white-cake-pops

I have no idea how to add photos on here lol

catlharper Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 9:31pm
post #9 of 18

@julia1812   @Pastrybaglady  and @SweetShop5   I don't know what is up with the photos..maybe the file is too large? I don't know.

Cute cakes. Julia! Smarties here are a sour hard sugar candy...those look more like M&Ms which are a chocolate candy with a candy shell. 

Pastrybaglady! Your plate looks perfect! I've never tried a plate before, not a full sized one. Miniature tea cup saucer only. Beautiful, elegant cake.

SweetShop5: Love the cookies. I've never tried making a high heel but after seeing some this past week I'm really tempted to do so for my daughter's birthday this year. Any tips?  I've never done cake pops..chocolate covered marshmallows sure...but not cake pops. 

Hope you guys have a great weekend. Our is filled with baseball and basketball...no girly pursuits here at all! LOL!

Cat

SweetShop5 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 9:36pm
post #10 of 18

Quote by @catlharper on 1 minute ago

SweetShop5: Love the cookies. I've never tried making a high heel but after seeing some this past week I'm really tempted to do so for my daughter's birthday this year. Any tips?  I've never done cake pops..chocolate covered marshmallows sure...but not cake pops. 

Thank you! Making a high heel is actually really simple. Just print out a template of the heel you like, and make sure to do it in advance so it dries completely since its very fragile. 

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:14pm
post #11 of 18

I've been out of it a bit with making cakes since my son was born, but I made this cake for my daughter's 8th birthday:

http://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/3334371/swan-cake

It was a chocolate cake filled with chocolate buttercream and decorated with vanilla buttercream.  The swan was made from modelling chocolate following Jessica Harris Cake design's tutorial.

catlharper Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:22pm
post #12 of 18

@LizzieAylett  I totally love your swan! The cattails in the background are great too. Is your daughter a big "bird" person? I know this one would fit me perfectly! LOL! I love birds and"birding".

Cat

LizzieAylett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LizzieAylett Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:26pm
post #13 of 18

Cat, no she's not really at all so I was rather surprised at her request!  But I am glad she did ask for that.  Her previous request had been for a sculpted cake made to look like Greyfriar's Bobby.

catlharper Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:55pm
post #14 of 18

@LizzieAylett  I had never heard of Greyfriar's Bobby before but he's SO cute! I could never cut him and eat him but he'd be adorable as a cake topper!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 8:59pm
post #15 of 18

Here's my second cake this weekend.  The mom was ordering her own birthday cake and felt weird about asking for it to say Happy Birthday to her so she asked for a family representation.  Red velvet cake with cream cheese SMBC.

ldNUceww92-family-portrait-in-fondant_900.jpg

catlharper Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:09pm
post #16 of 18

@Pastrybaglady  What a cute idea! I love how she was ordering her own cake but didn't think she was worthy of a little spoiling. Lovely piping on this cake too!

Cat

Pastrybaglady Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 11:05pm
post #17 of 18

She definitely felt weird ordering her own cake.  Other people told me she told them that.  Thinking about it later I should have just put Happy Birthday on it from me!

julia1812 Posted 23 Mar 2015 , 2:34pm
post #18 of 18

Quote by @catlharper on 1 day ago

Cute cakes. Julia! Smarties here are a sour hard sugar candy...those look more like M&Ms which are a chocolate candy with a candy shell. 

No, Smarties (from Nestle) here are delicious! Chocolate filled with a very thin crunchy crust around it and NO artificial colors!

I grew up with them and no packed is safe next to me ;)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%