Buttercream Wilton Roses In Class?

Decorating By peachypink Updated 21 Mar 2015 , 10:13pm by remnant3333

peachypink Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peachypink Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 2:41am
post #1 of 4

I want to take the Wilton Method Courses. (cake decorating classes)

In the Wilton Method Course 2 (the version updated in 2010): I read that the Wilton rose was taught in Lesson 3 with Royal icing and there was a review of the Wilton rose in Lesson 4 with Buttercream.

But I heard that they updated the Wilton Courses again in 2014. I read that in this new Wilton Course 2- the Wilton roses are taught in royal icing in lesson 2. I feel disappointed because someone told me that there is no
review of the Wilton rose in buttercream like in the previous version of this course.

I really want to make Wilton roses out of buttercream icing.

I'm not going to take the Wilton Courses at Micheal's. I'm going to take the Wilton Courses at a culinary school. The tuition fee at this school covers all supplies & ingredients. That means I won't bring any ingredients from home- everything is available at the school. That's why the tuition fee at this school is higher than at a craft store like Micheal's.

I was thinking this: during my Wilton Course 1 class- I will ask the instructor,"I heard that the Wilton Course 2 students will be instructed to make Wilton roses out of royal icing. I prefer to make my Wilton roses out of buttercream icing. When I have my Wilton Course 2 class here- can I make half of my Wilton roses out of buttercream icing and half of my Wilton roses out of royal icing? For example- if the original lesson plan is to make 12 Wilton roses out of royal icing- can I make 6 roses out of buttercream icing & 6 roses out of royal icing?" What do you think the instructor will say if I ask this? Do you think he will allow this?

3 replies
CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:04am
post #2 of 4

I took  Wilton courses  2-4 at a craft store, so perhaps they are more lenient but i really don't see what the issue would be.  We learned roses in course 2, royal icing like you thought, but it's the same technique. If your instructor won't allow you to submit them for class, then just do royal icing, get the motion down & practice the butter cream roses at home. :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:30am
post #3 of 4

As the other poster said it makes no difference what icing is used the technique is exactly the same and that;'s what produces the rose.

remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 10:13pm
post #4 of 4

Go on youtube and type in buttercream roses. Watch several videos then try making them with regular buttercream. I am sure with practice, you will be able to make them. I always put them in the freezer once I make them so as to harden for about 15 minutes. Then you can just grab them and arrange on cake. Once you practice, you will be able to make them in no time at all!! Good luck!! I know you can do it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%