Repeat Business

Business By chef020602 Updated 22 Mar 2015 , 9:55pm by indydebi

chef020602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chef020602 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 1:45am
post #1 of 7

I have been decorating for several years and have always had huge compliments on the flavor of the cake, icing and love the how the cake was decorated.  I know I am not over charging, in fact, I think I am actually under charging, but not by a whole lot to make it appear that I don't have confidence in my creation.

My issue is getting customers to return.  I have a few that return, however, some will order a couple and then I do not hear from them again.  I have even offered to deliver cakes within a 10-15 mile radius and not charge so I can make sure I get return business...sometimes that works and sometimes it doesn't!

Does anyone else have this problem, if so, what can I do to get my customers to continue returning?

Please help with any suggestions you make have, it would be greatly appreciated!

6 replies
lucy_23409 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucy_23409 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 4:20pm
post #2 of 7

It can be hard to keep customers loyal at the moment.  I think they are always looking for the best deal.  Perhaps you could create a loyalty card where the customer gets a discount off their 3rd and 6th cake? 

Maybe a little note card in the cake box that says Thank you for choosing your business to make the celebration cake, why your business is so special, why your cakes are super, why the customer should choose you and not the competitor. 

Let your passion for your cakes really shine on the card!

julia1812 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julia1812 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 6:49pm
post #3 of 7

As I do lots of birthday cakes, I have many customers returning. I hardly ever deliver a cake and if so, I definitely charge for it.

I'm by far not a pro and it's more a hobby than a business like yours, but I have made enough cakes for enough customers to understand what you mean.

Guess some people will look for cheaper options (although you said you rather under charge - trust me, there is always someone charging less!), some will only order for very, very special occasions as they love your cake but simply can't afford ordering one every two months or so.

All my business is coming from mouth to mouth advertising from former clients or people who happened to taste and see my cakes. Which is a brilliant way to extend my customer radius.

What also helps getting business I noticed is my facebook page. Whenever I post an interesting cake design, I have more orders in the following weeks.

I like the idea I read here, suggesting to introduce a discount card. That works for me with my hairdresser, so why not with cakes, LOL!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 8:11pm
post #4 of 7

i never did this but i toyed with the idea of sending out a business card size refrigerator magnet with the picture of their cake and my web page or phone number on it so they could easily find/refer me while remembering and enjoying the picture -- y'know you can purchase them at office max and print them on your computer -- or there's other magnetic printable products -- just a thought --

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000GAU9M8/?tag=cakecentral-20

chef020602 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks Lucy_23409, I love those ideas, I'm going to try those!

chef020602 Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 9:45pm
post #6 of 7

Julie1812, mine are most word of mouth as well and I do have a facebook page as well and get likes on the pictures I do post.  Right now, it's more of a hobby than a business, although I have incorporated and am working under the Cottage Laws in my state.

A lot of business I do comes from customers from Tradefirst, which is an excellent company, it's bartering, which is really cool, however, I'd really like to expand to a lot more paying customers in addition to my trade customers.

K8memphis, I love the magnet idea, I may just try that as well!  I know I'd use that to re-order if I were a customer that had that on my fridge!

Thank you both!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 9:55pm
post #7 of 7

ALso remember that people do no order cakes every week.  If I order a cake from you for my husband's birthday, I don't need another one for an entire year.  If I order something for a baby shower, I don't have baby showers once a month.   Not sure how long you've been doing this, but repeat business takes awhile in cake world.  Have patience.  :-) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%