Ganache Filled Cake

Decorating By cake_starter Updated 18 Mar 2015 , 2:25pm by cake_starter

cake_starter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_starter Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 1:22pm
post #1 of 3

Hello everybody, 

I'm very new to CC site and I see that there are amazing people here. I have just started baking and I was going to bake a cake for my friend's son's birthday. 

I need few suggestions. 

I'm planning to make chocolate cake with pure white buttercream frosting(as she need curious George theme) for this Saturday. I have some leftover Ganache in my fridge and I want to use this as my filling. Here are my questions. 

1) Can I bake my cake on Wednesday, cut into layer and use the ganache for filling (it is 1:1 ratio ) and then crumb coat? 
2) once its crumb coated with butter cream, can I freeze the cake so it will be easy for me to frost it? 
3) on Friday evening I want to frost the cake and re-freeze it. 
4) on Saturday morning, I want to draw curious george on the cake (trace the outline with piping gel and fill with stars) and I also have some fondant monkeys and bananas that I want to stick to the cake sides and borders. 

Can I follow above plan, the cake is for evening. Will ganache be OK by then? Can I apply fondant characters on frozen cake? 

Thanks a bunch in advance. 

2 replies
ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 2:04pm
post #2 of 3

You are freezing too much.

1) You can bake at anytime let the layers cool.  Then wrap the layers in plastic wrap and freeze until you need them.

2) If you want to frost the cake on Friday, Thursday night you can bring the layers out of the freezer and let them defrost overnight.
3) on Friday mornning you can fill with ganache / stack / crumb coat and let it sit at room temperature so the cake has time to settle.  In the evening frost the cake with a crusting buttercream.  No need to refreeze at this point.  Just let the cake sit out overnight for the buttercream to crust.
4) on Saturday morning the buttercream should be firm to the touch.  If it is not, refrigerate for about 30 minutes so that the buttercream is hard to the touch.  You can then  draw curious george on the cake (trace the outline with piping gel and fill with stars) and also attach fondant monkeys and bananas to the cake sides and borders. I use piping gel to stick the fondant pieces.

cake_starter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake_starter Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you ropalma. I appreciate you taking time to answer all my questions. I will follow your procedures. This is the first time I'm doing themed cake and hopefully it will turn out OK :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%