Husband Got Me An Airbrush Machine, Gun & Amerimist Color

Decorating By CookieNibz Updated 24 Mar 2015 , 3:41pm by debrartin

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:57am
post #1 of 14

Once again, I must turn to all of you wonderful decorators out there. When spraying butter cream or fondant, should I be mixing anything with the color, like vodka? Or do you just use the amerimist color? I got it for xmas, have only had a chance to use it twice. Would really like to be able to use it more....just fun :) I'm currently reading through other CC discussions to learn what I can, but didn't see anything addressing this particular question. So far anyways. Thanks in advance!!!

13 replies
hobbist Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hobbist Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 11:42am
post #2 of 14

I don't thin the colors with anything.

TheresaCarol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheresaCarol Posted 17 Mar 2015 , 1:03pm
post #3 of 14

I have only used vodka when I needed to thin a pearl shimmer for my machine.  Nothing is needed when using the Amerimist colors; they are ready to use.

CookieNibz Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 4:47pm
post #4 of 14

Thanks, both of you! I really appreciate it! I'm excited to learn more about this technique. My husband is so sweet & thoughtful, but I think he holds my skill level much higher than it actually is :) I try to tell him,lol.

debrartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrartin Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 1:35pm
post #5 of 14

I have an airbrush and compressor that I buy from http://www.artistsupplysource.com/category/50859/airbrushing/ website. Some times I use vodka. For any type of painting color or airbrush I always use that online store

CookieNibz Posted 21 Mar 2015 , 12:21am
post #6 of 14

Thank you @debratin !

CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 5:32pm
post #7 of 14

What about for modeling chocolate? It's already seized chocolate so liquid shouldn't hurt it...right??? But would it hold the color or would it just drip off? i saw a video where they sprayed regular chocolate with cocoa butter, but i wouldnt even know where to start with that,lol. Didn't even know it could be liquid enough to spray.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:36pm
post #8 of 14

they use paint sprayers to spray cocoa butter -- i've done it before just to play with -- now i'm sure they have special chocolate spraying equipment that probably costs a fortune -- my wagner paint sprayer cost sixty bucks -- but i was never positive it was ok to run edibles through there so i never pursued it any farther than  that -- 

yes then you have to have everything the right temp and viscosity -- adding enough melted cocoa butter was key --

but what i wanted to say is i use water in my air brush liquid all the time if i want a lighter color -- and everclear if needed -- that voracious liquor

CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 6:53pm
post #9 of 14

Ah! Yeah I'm with you. I own 3 paint sprayers, cause I own a painting company. When they come from the factory they are packed with oil & even the parts in the gun are packed with oil. Think you're right to not use it on food. Granted my sprayers are commercial grade, perhaps the wagner is different. No idea.

Thanks for info! I don't do cakes for a living or anything so would probably never HAVE to paint modeling chocolate, I was just curious. Especially after your insight, kind of sounds like a pain. LOL I try to stay away from pita projects since I don't charge my family :)

I will have to play with the vodka and colors. Fun!!! :)

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:07pm
post #10 of 14

because you're a pro -- you know to wear a mask -- good -- and you probably already know the spray goes every fricken where -- heheheheh

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 7:10pm
post #11 of 14

i know i've messed around with painting modeling choco and tried airbrushing it and i can't remember my results to speak about it -- i should whip out my stuff and test... but a better idea is to hear your results ;)

CookieNibz Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 8:27pm
post #12 of 14

HA! Yes, yes it does. I'll let you in on a secret though, when I'm done spraying an apartment the paint coats my eyelashes. It makes them CRAZY full & thick! Like reaches my eyebrows long! I just have to figure out how to market this idea of putting latex on your eyelashes, and I will be able to retire ;)

LOL, fair enough. I'm sure I will be making my grandmother (not the same gma w/potato soup recipe) a cake for mothers day, maybe I can try it then! I will let you know!

-K8memphis Posted 22 Mar 2015 , 8:30pm
post #13 of 14

g.o.g.g.l.e.s. :)

debrartin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debrartin Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 3:41pm
post #14 of 14

Thank you too CookieNibz

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%