Lactose Free Substitutions???

Baking By Vanessa7 Updated 16 Mar 2015 , 12:32pm by jchuck

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 1:36am
post #1 of 5

I have a potential bride to be client that is lactose intolerant.  I've not made a lactose free cake before and was wondering, how will the texture, taste, and durability of the cake change if I substitute lactose free milk, lactose free sour cream, and lactose free butter for the "real" stuff?   I would appreciate any help and suggestions.

4 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 1:52am
post #2 of 5

You can use almond or rice milk. I do all the time as my son is lactose intolerant. Doesn't change a thing in taste or texture. I also use lactose free sour cream if I want a pound cake., and substitute oil for the butter.

Vanessa7 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Vanessa7 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 12:41pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you jchuck!  Do you use a butter extract to add back the butter flavor since there is none in the oil?

SweetShop5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetShop5 Posted 15 Mar 2015 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 5

I have use lactose free milk in my cakes, and it honestly doesn't change the texture at all. As for the other ingredients, I'm not sure since I've never used them.

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 16 Mar 2015 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 5

No Vanessa7  I don't add butter flavour, I just add whatever extract/flavour suits the cake I'm making at the time. I just bake my cake as per normal but use lactose free ingredients. Comes out tasting the same as cakes regular cake.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%