Zoning Requirements For Home Bakery

Business By calwag2 Updated 10 Mar 2015 , 9:40pm by -K8memphis

calwag2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
calwag2 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 7:01pm
post #1 of 3

I live in Illinois and have recently begun the process of starting a home bakery.  I have a separate kitchen in my home that is pretty much ready to go.  We just need to install our 3 compartment sink.  I have contacted the county health department and am aware of what requirements I need to be licensed.  My county's planning and zoning department is stating we need architectural drawings of the kitchen and whole house. (so far, its been difficult to find an architect that is familiar with the codes and is willing to take on a project as small as ours) There is also debate of installation of a sprinkler system in the space.  My operation is small and I am only using standard residential appliances.  Only the 3 compartment sink is commercial. Has anyone else come across issues like this when starting their home business? I would appreciate any advice. 

2 replies
rsquared02 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rsquared02 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 7:31pm
post #2 of 3

Oh man.  :-(  No, I just had to have the zoning people come out to make sure my bakery wasn't taking up the whole house since we're in an agriculturally zoned area.  And of course, pay a fee!  

Could you ask them for examples?  There is software available to do drawings like that, that could be cheaper and easier than hiring someone.  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 3

just to be frank it sounds like they don't want to deal with you and making it difficult/vague is their method -- so my recommendation is to take a deep breath, fasten your seatbelt and ride out the storm -- do you have a blueprint of your house by any chance from when it was purchased? although it sounds like the separate kitchen might not have had permits pulled on it so that's why they need to be assured -- maybe -- if it was put in after the house was built --

i'm sure you already have but i would go over the state requirements with a fine tooth comb -- some of them say what the cities/counties can and cannot require of you --

best to you -- hang in there -- don't set up your expectations for a certain opening date -- keep that wide open so you can hang onto all your patience -- but let's hope i'm wrong and this is all they want ;)

best of the best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%