Need Help With This Designer Purse Cake, Please! :-)

Decorating By JuJuBeCakes Updated 11 Mar 2015 , 10:20pm by savannahquinn

JuJuBeCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JuJuBeCakes Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:09pm
post #1 of 6

I have been asked by my husband's boss to make a purse cake to match her daughter's favorite purse and while I'm not nervous about carving the cake to the right shape I am nervous about the pattern. Checkerboard brown and black with the "MK" logo covering the entire thing. I have seen stencils online (and I have an airbrush machine) but I don't like the idea of cutting out hundreds of squares and lining them up perfectly. Could I use edible images over the entire cake? If anyone has any experience with either process, please let me know. Thanks in advance!!!

5 replies
dev3a2001 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dev3a2001 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 6

I haven't tried this before but maybe experiment with using transfer sheets on modeling chocolate to get the checkerboard effect?

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:46pm
post #3 of 6

just use brown fondant and after applying score it in the size checkerboard you want and color in the black ones -- i'd use a black edible ink marker -- the americolor gourmet markers are perfect for this -- 

the mk logo is super easy -- so straightforward -- you could make one template/stencil and use it for the whole purse or you could practice it and freehand it --

easy peasy -- you got this

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 2:47pm
post #4 of 6

or you could paint the black ones -- the paint kind of adheres to the scored area -- or you could use black dust too -- but edible markers are your friend

jcd1130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jcd1130 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 3:02pm
post #5 of 6

I've used edible images on purse cakes in the past with excellent results.  

savannahquinn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
savannahquinn Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 10:20pm
post #6 of 6

my first ever cake was a Louis Vuitton cake that I covered completely in fondant with edible image logo over it.  I did it for a friend's birthday.  It worked perfectly...I just disguised the areas where the seams met.  It's in my photo gallery, sorry not sure how to insert a pic on the new site. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%