Taking The Leap To A Legal Business In Nj

Business By Lwarmke79 Updated 24 Mar 2015 , 3:49pm by TurbinadoBH

Lwarmke79 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lwarmke79 Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 12:48pm
post #1 of 12

Hi Everyone!!! I have been a cake central stalker for a while. This is my very first post! I have been baking for hobby in NJ since my children were born, only 8 years ago. But I am making the leap to a legal business in NJ. This is frightening. But I am super psyched. I want to take it very slow, just keep doing what I am doing in a Commercial Kitchen.

My question is, Does anyone have advice on how the commercial kitchen connection/rental works? I am dealing with a place that has never rented. I would like to make it appealing for them to take this on. I know I can offer custom cakes and desserts to their catering department but not sure how?

If you rent, what is the going rate, hourly? monthly?

Any advice is very helpful.

This is also not replacing an income, I will be able to bake without the pressure of supporting my family. 

Thanks!!!!!!!

11 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 10 Mar 2015 , 10:20pm
post #2 of 12

renting an approved facility has different requirements per locality -- here in elvistown the new business has to be up to current code so the older business has to upgrade to code to allow it -- in other words it's rarely or never done here --

if i were you i'd pay rent and then sell them whatever baked good they need -- just subtract the rent from their monthly invoice -- keeping it easy and separate would be my recommendation -- 

if it's a church or non-profit it usually impacts their tax exempt status to rent to a taxable entity like you will be even if the board of deacons or whoever thinks it's a good idea -- so i'd steer clear of non-profits -- you also want to know but it's difficult to determine that the established business is current on their bills especially taxes because you don't want to walk up to a padlocked door some day --

you want to have clearly established boundaries for all the equipment and supplies and time -- i would want a locking cabinet to store my stuff -- you need room in the walk-in and they need to be careful with keeping smelly items like cut onions well covered --but you don't have a ton of clout on your side -- use those nice big plastic tubs for your supplies in the walk in and to store your cakes -- keep your stuff protected --

you want to divide the time carefully -- if it's a restaurant and they wash dishes near your decorating table or fry fish nearby -- you'll have to decorate opposite their schedule -- stuff like that -- hot steamy kitchens are the worst for decorating cakes in --

i hope it all works out for you -- it can be fraught with problems but it's also a beautiful thing when it works -- best to you

Lwarmke79 Posted 11 Mar 2015 , 12:37pm
post #3 of 12

K8, Thank you for your info!! Storage is something I worry about! One place is a restaurant with a separate kitchen that is not used and the other is a Firehouse. I think I need to walk thru both and see which will work best. I like the idea of selling them desserts and taking it off the rent. Those are things I will have to try and work into the rent agreement!!

Thanks!

Anyone else have experience Please share!!!

Lwarmke79 Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 12

Thanks again! I found a commercial kitchen to share with a new catering company. My own fridge and freezer and we plan to barter/trade rent for baked goods. Thank you for your advice definitely  guided my meeting with them.

I feel very lucky to have found a place!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 20 Mar 2015 , 8:34pm
post #5 of 12

you're so welcome -- how awesome -- i'm so happy for you -- best of the best of the best to you -- 

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 12:17am
post #6 of 12

Lwarmke79 where in NJ are you? I'm also in (southern) nj, just curious.... Myself and another baking friend have talked about doing something similar

Lwarmke79 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 12:21am
post #7 of 12

I am in Hillsborough. Central NJ

rexygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rexygirl Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 12:34am
post #8 of 12

Ok my husband is from south bound brook... Good luck with your venture! 

Lwarmke79 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 12:36am
post #9 of 12

Thanks!

TurbinadoBH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurbinadoBH Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 3:41pm
post #10 of 12

Hello!

I'm actually in the beginning stages of opening up a kitchen collective in South Jersey. It would have several professional, licensed kitchens for culinary startups, such as myself, can find a home to start/grow their business.  We're also looking to incorporate some other things such as retail space, event space (for tastings, private events, workshops, etc).

If you've found a space, congrats!!  If you or anyone you know is looking for space in South Jersey, please contact me--I'm trying to get a general idea as to what the need is in our area.

Thanks in advance!

Cristal 

Lwarmke79 Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 12

That is very cool, there is nothing like that here in central jersey. 

Good luck to you!

TurbinadoBH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TurbinadoBH Posted 24 Mar 2015 , 3:49pm
post #12 of 12

Thank you!! :)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%