Cake Baking Question - Why Does My Cake Fall Once Out Of The Oven

Decorating By mountaincloud Updated 23 Feb 2015 , 10:10pm by MimiFix

mountaincloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mountaincloud Posted 22 Feb 2015 , 10:00pm
post #1 of 7

Hello,

While my cakes are in the oven, they look exactly how I would them to; fluffy and raised about the top of the cake pan close to 3/8" - 1/2".  After being out of the oven and cooling for a few minutes they slowly begin to sink.  

My understanding about why cakes sinks is from being under cooked, not baked at the recommended temperature, or possibly an issue with how the cake batter was mixed.

I would love some guidance from those who know.

Thank you for your help.

Sean

6 replies
CindiM Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CindiM Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 1:46am
post #2 of 7

AAre you using a tooth pick to check to see if your cake is done? I bake cakes everyday, all day. I check each cake and if the tooth pick is wet with batter, the cake goes back in the oven. If your cake isn't done it will sink. Try bake even strips, flower nails or a lower temperature. You may want to check your recipe and all ovens are not created equally. Baking is an art and it takes practice and skill. Good luck!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 3:16am
post #3 of 7

Your cakes sound underbaked.  How are you testing them to make sure they're done?

skykings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
skykings Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 8:17am
post #4 of 7

AUr cake is not done

nikkineale Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikkineale Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 6:34pm
post #5 of 7

I tend to have this issue from time to time a small portion in the center does not bake all the way.  I use a metal cake tester.  It is easier for me to see if the batter is not done.  I have used the tooth pic as well.  I test the center and two other locations closer towards the edges of the pan.  It is a trial and error but once you find the time of your over you will be set.  Best of luck.

mountaincloud Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mountaincloud Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 7:28pm
post #6 of 7

AThank you all for the replys. I am checking each cake in the center with a toothpick. If the toothpick does not come out clean, the cake goes back in. I am making nine 6"x2" deep round cakes at once. I have not double checked my oven to confirm the temperature. Do I need to adjust the temp because of the number of cakes I'm baking at once? The cake pans are close to 1" apart while in the oven to make sure there is even heat all around . Could this be part of the problem?

Thanks again,

Sean

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 10:10pm
post #7 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountaincloud 

1. I have not double checked my oven to confirm the temperature.
2. Do I need to adjust the temp because of the number of cakes I'm baking at once?
3. The cake pans are close to 1" apart while in the oven to make sure there is even heat all around . 

Greetings Sean...

(1) You can buy a good quality oven thermometer; but more importantly, how do your other products bake? At their expected temp/time?

(2) Your oven temp should reflect recipe instructions, not the quantity inside the oven. The only adjustment you may need is to add a few extra minutes of bake time.

(3) Air circulation is crucial to proper baking. Place pans at least 1" apart, preferably 2".

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%