Sister's Wedding And Even More Nervous!

Decorating By Farmwifecakes Updated 19 Feb 2015 , 4:30pm by -K8memphis

Farmwifecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Farmwifecakes Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 7:54pm
post #1 of 8

Hi, I'm so happy my baby sister is getting married. It will be a wonderful time for all of us.

I'm doing the cake. This is my first big order.

I'm making mousse (cream cheese, whip cream and raspberries) filled cupcakes with fondant domes.

Plus I will be doing an 8in, four layer fondant covered cake. The cake will be taller than me.:grin:

Here's the question.....

**Can I leave these out over night in a cool kitchen?

It's a Sunday wedding, so I would be making these on Saturday.

I'm afraid of the mousse spoiling but others say it will be fine.

**Also will they dry out sitting over night and most of Sunday?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 8

i would never dream of leaving a cream cheese whipped cream anything out overnight to serve to invited quests -- it would not be literally spoiled but unless you have a recipe that is made to be left out no you would be serving something that would be on the fast track to being spoiled --

it would not hurt healthy people but it could take a chunk out of pregnant ladies, small children, seniors and anyone with a compromised immune system like a crohn's patient --

put it this way -- the time allowed for such a product to be held out of temperature is 4 hours total -- if it takes you 30 minutes to make the mousse and fill the cupcakes you have 3.5 hours left -- if it takes you 20 minutes to get home from the store  that takes it down another 20 minutes etc.

could you enlist some able bodied helpers day of to fill and assemble? maybe

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:06pm
post #3 of 8

i mean the last thing i would want to do is wait till beyond the last minute but you could fridge them somewhere too

Farmwifecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Farmwifecakes Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:21pm
post #4 of 8

Thanks, The kitchen we use (not mine) is always kept cool (62-64 degrees) and it's -15 degrees outside but I still hate the idea of what could happen.

Plus, I need to come up with a couple extra refrigerators. Craig's List, here I come.

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:22pm
post #5 of 8

just to clarify -- i mean buying the cream cheese at the store and getting home with it -- if that takes 20 minutes you got 3 hours 40 mins left on the 4 hour clock -- subtracting all the time spent out of temp all along the way including the time they are allowed to sit out at the venue before they are eaten --

the easy thing to do is secure refrigeration for them or change your filling to a raspberry flavored swiss meringue -- get some raspberry oil -- or find a cream cheese icing recipe that is already shelf stable and raspberry that up -- with oil though -- and work around it that way --

wedding cake as we know is a big deal and it needs to be versatile and hearty or handled with the utmost care --

good on you for checking first

i think there's a good can-be-held-at-room-temp cream cheese icing on the cake boss website -- the software people not buddy 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:24pm
post #6 of 8

62 degrees is bacteria multiplying heaven -- has to be 40 degrees or below

you got this -- i know you'd do anything for your sis -- 

-K8memphis Posted 18 Feb 2015 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 8

i've purchased freezer/fridge for cakes before -- it works!

-K8memphis Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 4:30pm
post #8 of 8

but test your recipes going in & out of the cold first and make sure you like everything --

best of the best to you -- would love to see pictures by and by

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%