Securing Tiers Of A Dummy Cake...

Decorating By annakat444 Updated 17 Feb 2015 , 10:15pm by maybenot

annakat444 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annakat444 Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 7:55pm
post #1 of 7

Hello! I'm traveling 4 hours away with a 3-tier dummy cake this weekend and wanted to know what is the best way to secure the tiers together? It's covered in fondant and royal icing. I was planning to just put royal icing under each tier and let that suffice as "glue", but now I'm wondering if I should do some type of dowels as well. Anyone? Thank you!

6 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

skewers.  Pound a from the upper tier to the lower tier.  If it's multiple tiers, I put a skewer from upper to power, middle to lower.  One is enough.  Also RI or chocolate smeared between the tiers should do it.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 9:42pm
post #3 of 7

I've driven hours and flown with multi tiered dummies.  I never secure them to each other, or the board, with anything other than what I have on hand:  royal icing, melted chocolate, melted fondant, or hot glue. 

Can't be bothered with skewers or dowels, and I don't want to damage the dummies, if possible, because I reuse them in other configurations.

annakat444 Posted 16 Feb 2015 , 9:46pm
post #4 of 7

AThank you ladies! I love my hot glue gun but wasn't sure if it would melt the fondant? I wish I could save these dummies, but I have to leave before the competition is over so I have to leave my precious cake

annakat444 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 7

AOne last question - what would y'all suggest I bring in my repair kit? I know I need some royal icing, tips, a few bags, luster dust for touch-ups...what else am I missing? This is my first time at a cake competition. Thanks!

pj22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pj22 Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 6:33pm
post #6 of 7

Skewers work like a charm to attach dummy tiers. Also keep edible glue or tylose with water for gluing anything that falls off.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 10:15pm
post #7 of 7

Gum glue is a great addition to a your emergency kit.  If you have things like flowers, pearls, or other fragiles, I'd bring extras of those.  Some toothpicks that can be snipped off for extra supports [easily hidden, if necessary].  A very large umbrella, opened garbage bag, etc. in case it's raining when you go from the car.

Go to get nothing but the feedback on your score sheets from the judges and ideas from the other entries.  If you get the opportunity, ask judges for a moment of their time and clarification of their remarks or additional feedback [sometimes they can add to their "cryptic" comments on the forms]. 

Learn, learn, learn, and have lots of fun.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%