Buttercream Dummy Wedding Cake

Decorating By Kookie Updated 19 Feb 2015 , 8:04pm by Kookie

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 11:35pm
post #1 of 4

I have made fondant dummy cakes before but not a buttercream dummy. How do you frost it without sliding off the cake when on the turning table? I can glue the 10" bottom cake to the cake board so it will stay there but how about second layer 8" one? Do you tape on the cake turning table? How do you stack up without messing up? I would make 10", 8" dummy and 6" real cake on the top.

Thanks.

3 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:44am
post #2 of 4

I usually put a good glob of b'cream on the turntable to hold the dummy in place.  OR you can use double face tape.   If you use a crusting b'cream it is easy to handle them - just slip a wide knife/spatula under it and lift up - holding it on the bottom - your hands wide apart and your fingers too!  It just takes a bit of practice :)

You don't need any dowels/support in any of it.   The bottom border will hold the top real cake in place once it sets up so have the cake finished the night before delivery (or at least early in the morning for a late delivery).

SuzyXD Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SuzyXD Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 1:37pm
post #3 of 4

AFunny, I had to make one of these this past weekend, exact same dimensions, with real cake for top tier! I guess I lucked out, since they wanted a cake with natural, swoopy type icing ( what do you all call that look?) so it didn't have to be smooth and perfect. But I usually use some heavy duty packing tape to secure the dummy to the pedestal and then I place my left hand on top of the cake and press down while icing the sides of the cake with my right. I get the sides as finished as possible, and then finish icing the top of the cake with as light a touch as possible. Then, I put the whole pedestal in the fridge until it's firmed up enough to handle/stack. Of course it's still taped down, so when I get it out, it needs to be pried up slowly and gently with a spatula. This is the method I use with royal icing too, except the fridge part. And sometimes, I pry the dummy off the pedestal right away, and allow it to dry on an overturned bowl with a smaller diameter than the dummy, so as not to touch the bottom edges.

Kookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kookie Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 8:04pm
post #4 of 4

Hi kakeladi and SuzyXD,

Thank you for your tips.

I am glad to know that I don't have to use dowels :)

That is funny I am going to make swoopy type icing too:) 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%