Should I Freeze My Cakes, Or Leave Them In The Fridge?

Decorating By FlRugbyChick Updated 23 Feb 2015 , 2:15pm by FlRugbyChick

FlRugbyChick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FlRugbyChick Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 1:04pm
post #1 of 13

ALast night 2/13, I baked cakes for an order tomorrow. With the leftover batter I baked a few of the cakes I need for an expo event next Friday 2/20. Right now the cakes are wrapped, and in the fridge. Will they be fine until Thursday when I plan on decorating, or should I freeze them.

Also, this event is for local small businesses and vendors. There will be 2 cake tables (me and another lady). I was thinking about giving away my display cakes at the end of the event. Do people do that? My family is a bit sick of cake, so I know if I bring them home they will be thrown out.

12 replies
remnant3333 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
remnant3333 Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 1:44pm
post #2 of 13

I would think freezing them would retain freshness better than sitting them in refrigerator for one week. I would not take a chance on cakes going stale.  

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 5:03pm
post #3 of 13

ADefinitely freeze, the fridge will dry them out by Thursday.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 5:10pm
post #4 of 13

refrigeration drys out baked goods;  freezing locks in moisture.  Its a humidity thing.

FlRugbyChick Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 6:25pm
post #5 of 13

AOk, ty.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 9:27pm
post #6 of 13

Hope I'm not too late w/this reply.  Re: giving away your demo cakes after the event.  It is always good to give out 'samples' to the other vendors to introduce them to you products.  You never know what referrals it could lead to.  You could cut up the demos into large chunks (like enough for 3-4 servings) well wrapped and instructions for freezing.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 10:32pm
post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by kakeladi 

Hope I'm not too late w/this reply.  Re: giving away your demo cakes after the event.  It is always good to give out 'samples' to the other vendors to introduce them to you products.  You never know what referrals it could lead to.  You could cut up the demos into large chunks (like enough for 3-4 servings) well wrapped and instructions for freezing.

Yes.   Always use free stuff to your advantage.   Be sure and put your business card on the "sample".

FlRugbyChick Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 13

AI was planning on baking mini cupcakes as free samples. Then I was thinking of raffling off the 2 display cakes. I'm thinking of putting a jar by each cake and having a sign that says names will be drawn at 3:30, and you must be present to take it home. No charge for the entries either.

Pastrybaglady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pastrybaglady Posted 14 Feb 2015 , 11:57pm
post #9 of 13

A

Original message sent by FlRugbyChick

I was planning on baking mini cupcakes as free samples. Then I was thinking of raffling off the 2 display cakes. I'm thinking of putting a jar by each cake and having a sign that says names will be drawn at 3:30, and you must be present to take it home. No charge for the entries either.

That would bring me back to your stand!

kazita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kazita Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 12:03am
post #10 of 13

A

Original message sent by FlRugbyChick

I was planning on baking mini cupcakes as free samples. Then I was thinking of raffling off the 2 display cakes. I'm thinking of putting a jar by each cake and having a sign that says names will be drawn at 3:30, and you must be present to take it home. No charge for the entries either.

Yep!! I'd definitely come back to your stand for a chance to win a free cake! !

And yes please freeze your cakes ...makes them moist. .

FlRugbyChick Posted 15 Feb 2015 , 12:38am
post #11 of 13

AThanks again every one for your input. Cakes are in the freezer, I will bake the rest Wednesdays, decorate Thursday, and then post pics on Friday. I'm excited! :-)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Feb 2015 , 3:20am
post #12 of 13

Having done many bridal expos there are few people left at closing time.  I don't think y our idea of a raffle would draw many :(  Better to give chunks to other vendors with you business card.  Many times that will lead to them recommending their customers to you -- and not only for wedding cakes for many other events.  I once  had a lady turn into a good customer coming to me some 10 months after a bridal expo, saying she had been just waiting for an opportunity to order from me. Also had many referrals from photographers etc just from tasting my cakes at an expo.

FlRugbyChick Posted 23 Feb 2015 , 2:15pm
post #13 of 13

AI wasn't trying to "draw a crowd" with the raffle. I just thought it would be a fun way to give them away. All the vendors tasted my free samples, and 2 it was 2 vendors who took the cakes home.

The event turned out to be a bit of a flop. Not many shoppers showed up at all. The vendors started trying to sell each other stuff. Then I got a call from my daughter's school because she was puking. I ended up having to leave early.

On a positive note, I had told someone who wanted to do a tasting that I would be there. She showed up, and now she wants me to make her a cake which will be my biggest cake order yet. :-)

Here are the pics. [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3331618/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3331619/width/200/height/400[/IMG] [IMG]http://www.cakecentral.com/content/type/61/id/3331620/width/200/height/400[/IMG]

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%