How Do I Get My Marshmallow Fondant To Not Dry Out Soon Soon?

Decorating By dsahuja27 Updated 19 Feb 2015 , 6:56am by bakernoob

dsahuja27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsahuja27 Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:08am
post #1 of 8

I make it and after a week it goes rock solid. How can I have the fondant stay soft for a longer time?

7 replies
johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:51am
post #2 of 8

Air tight storage is your only hope. Wrap in plastic, then again, then in foil....or...better yet.... get a seal-a-meal food sealer system and put it in that bag and it stays FRESH!

bubs1stbirthday Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bubs1stbirthday Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 5:14am
post #3 of 8

It might be your recipe depending on what ingredients yours calls for.

I had no luck at all with MM fondant - I hate it actually lol - but I found that the recipes that called for glucose and glycerine were much longer lasting/ more flexible etc than the ones that call just for MM's and icing sugar. So if you are storing it correctly maybe post your recipe.

ropalma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ropalma Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 7:44pm
post #4 of 8

I do my own MMF and it does get hard.  I just pop it in the microwave a few seconds at a time until it gets soft enough to knead but not long enough that will melt.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:10am
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnson6ofus 

Air tight storage is your only hope. Wrap in plastic, then again, then in foil....or...better yet.... get a seal-a-meal food sealer system and put it in that bag and it stays FRESH!

You can't beat this sealer. Whether it's cookies, cake or fish: it's worth every penny.  For your MMF,  you can also give it a light coating of Crisco before you wrap it in plastic.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 13 Feb 2015 , 3:53am
post #6 of 8

LOVE mine too MBalaska!

dsahuja27 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dsahuja27 Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 6:26am
post #7 of 8

AThank you everyone. It was really helpful. Thank you for taking out the time to answer my question.

bakernoob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakernoob Posted 19 Feb 2015 , 6:56am
post #8 of 8

As everyone has said air tight storage is the only way. When I make MMF I lightly grease it with crisco before wrapping it in plastic wrap and then putting in a ziploc bag and then usually into a plastic container. I've never had it dry out then. I can use it weeks later & it's still fine just needs to be kneaded a little :-)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%