Help With Marshmallow Fondant Ruffles

Decorating By Whiskingwishes Updated 10 Feb 2015 , 11:02pm by maybenot

Whiskingwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Whiskingwishes Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 7

AHi

I am going to be making marshmallow fondant for the first time and use it to cover a 3 tiered cake and decorate with ruffles.

Any favourite marshmallow fondant recipe links are appreciated.

Also are the ruffles going to hold shape well with just marshmallow fondant or does it need Tylose Or CMC added to it?

Any advice is appreciated.

6 replies
CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 7

I have used this recipe for flowers, ruffles, you name it. It tastes wonderful!!!

http://www.thebakingbeauties.com/2010/10/homemade-fondant-that-tastes-like-buttercream.html

I used a ball tool on the edges to create some motion. If after you put your ribbon on, you decide you want more motion, what I have done is use small balls of gumpaste & tuck under some of the ribbon ruffles. Once the ruffles dried out a bit i removed the small balls and they stayed in place. HTH

Whiskingwishes Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 8:44pm
post #3 of 7

AWow fondant that tastes like buttercream.. That sounds amazing!!

Do the ruffles hold well when used as is?

CookieNibz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CookieNibz Posted 9 Feb 2015 , 9:32pm
post #4 of 7

They held ok for me. Like i said though, i really thinned out the edges with a ball tool. After I layered them on the cake it seemed some areas went a lil flat, but i just used the (dried) gumpaste balls (rolled tiny lil balls) to hold them up a bit until the fondant dried a lil stiffer, then removed them. They stayed that way.

As an alternative you can mix a little gumpaste in with your fondant which will make it stiffer, but it also makes it dry faster so you will have to work faster. The gumpaste/fondant mix will also effect taste, but not sure by how much cause that isn't what i did. I didn't want to take away from the taste since the ruffles covered the entire cake.

But that above recipe really did taste awesome. It also wasn't difficult!

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 2:00am
post #5 of 7

If you want marshmallow fondant to hold a ruffle well, I strongly suggest adding tylose, gum tex, gum trag, or cmc to it.  I prefer tylose and find that about 1 tsp./lb. works well without causing the fondant to dry out too quickly.

Whiskingwishes Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 9:47am
post #6 of 7

AThanks for the responses. Does adding Tylose alter the taste of the mmf much?

After all the reason I want to use mmf is the taste.

maybenot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maybenot Posted 10 Feb 2015 , 11:02pm
post #7 of 7

No, I don't find that adding in a bit of tylose changes the flavor.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%