Help With Sticky Sugar Bottles!!

Sugar Work By forpetescake Updated 6 Apr 2015 , 5:46pm by daisybee

forpetescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
forpetescake Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 1:59am
post #1 of 11

AI have successfully made sugar beer bottles for the first time! So excited but now the surface is all sticky and fingerprinted up:( does anyone know how to make them not sticky and shiny? TIA

10 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 2:42am
post #2 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by forpetescake 

I have successfully made sugar beer bottles for the first time! So excited but now the surface is all sticky and fingerprinted up:( does anyone know how to make them not sticky and shiny? TIA

Try rubbing them with a little vegetable oil. If it's humid it will be sticky because the sugar is absorbing water from the air, but if it's not humid and you leave them out they'll dry out eventually.

forpetescake Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 3:21am
post #3 of 11

Thank you! I will try the vegetable oil.

didavista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didavista Posted 8 Feb 2015 , 1:56pm
post #4 of 11

AMine always did that even when I thought it wasn't humid. I fixed that by putting in an airtight container with a bunch of silica absorbing packets. I got a big bag full from a pharmacist, they throw hundreds away every day.

forpetescake Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 1:23am
post #5 of 11

Thanks for the help! Can I put the bottles on the cake in advance with the sugar ice I made or should I wait until right before I deliver it? Thanks again!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 12:40pm
post #6 of 11

Quote:

Originally Posted by forpetescake 

Thanks for the help! Can I put the bottles on the cake in advance with the sugar ice I made or should I wait until right before I deliver it? Thanks again!

I'd wait until right before delivery just to be on the safe side. I've refrigerated isomalt overnight with no bad effects, but any time you're dealing with something that moisture can affect it's better to be safe than sorry.

forpetescake Posted 12 Feb 2015 , 3:47pm
post #7 of 11

Thanks again, Costumeczar!

SweetCakesByAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetCakesByAZ Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 7:56am
post #8 of 11

First, congrats on making the bottles! Yay! Let them set just overnight on the counter uncovered, but then it’s really important to keep them in an airtight container and/or ziplock bag, preferably wrapped in plastic, at room temperature (refrigeration is trickyavoid it) with the silica packets (thanks costumeczar, that’s such a good tip about finding them at a pharmacy!), 

I agree with costumeczar, definitely wait to put the bottles on the cake until the very last minute—if you can, even put them on at the venue. Also, make sure you place the bottles on fondant (sugar ice), NOT BUTTERCREAM.They’ll cloud over really fast, on buttercream/even within hours if there’s humidity.

Two tips to help wit fingerprints/smears/cloudiness/opacity etc:

1) Bring your torch (the flame kind, not a flashlight;  as I think the word torch means flashlight the UK and Australia : ) You don’t need to bring a big one, and actually, a small one works better for this. Right before you place the bottle on the cake, if you see any problem areas: on the lowest/smallest flame size setting, SLOWLY and GENTLY circle the torch around, over, back, and forth across the spot; depending on the size of the flame maybe start around 40 cm away and CAREFULLY work your way closer (probably about 15 cm will be the right distance, but better to start too far away and take longer than start too close and wreck it!

2) It doesn’t sound like this would be an option for this time but next time you could apply some edible lacquer spray. This real helps with the smudges, and if you want to apply a dust, its perfect.  Not sure where you live, but it’s not too hard to find online in the US…Nicholas Lodge has it, I think maybe ChefRubber and BakeDeco. Where ever you find it, just make sure it contains NO WATER—if it does, your beautiful bottles will slowly melt. 

Hope this helps, andGood Luck!

forpetescake Posted 13 Mar 2015 , 8:58pm
post #9 of 11

Thanks for the helpful tips. I like the torch idea, maybe I'll practice first before trying it on the real thing! Thanks again

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 18 Mar 2015 , 8:09pm
post #10 of 11

SweetCakesByAZ I think the buttercream issue depends on your recipe. I never have that problem with my buttercream (all shortening)

daisybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
daisybee Posted 6 Apr 2015 , 5:46pm
post #11 of 11

Hi everyone!

Can somebody tell me where i can find the beer bottle mold in the uk? i live in paris and it seems that i can't find it anywhere under 100$

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%